Light stand umbrella flash kit

penn10

<p>I am looking for product suggestions for a light stand that supports a speedlight (SB-900/800) and a shoot-through umbrella with at least 6 feet height.<br>

I'd like these to be compact, especially the light stand so I can carry it to a location.<br>

I saw in the latest Nikon creative lighting tutorial dvd they are using something pretty cool, very compact, exactly what I need.<br>

Please let me know where can I look for such products? Any links? I'd like to have the entire kit if possible so I don't have to worry about individual parts/compatibilities.<br /> <br /> Thanks!</p>

<p>Have a look at strobist.com for their starter setup. I purchased something similar a while back, to get my Canon 580ex off the camera and this is what I got (note the hot shoe to PC socket is used to connect my Skypoty radio trigger):</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="226">

<col width="226"></col>

<tbody>

<tr height="20">

<td width="226" height="20">Manfrotto 001B light stand</td>

</tr>

<tr height="20">

<td height="20">Manfrotto 026 light clamp</td>

</tr>

<tr height="20">

<td height="20">Kaiser Hot Shoe To PC Socket 1300</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>I have Chinese generic stands and Elinchrom stands. For a SB, a $25 Chinese stand will do. You then need a umbrella swivel adapter to attach the flash and umbrella to the stand, these typically go for $15-$30, but be careful as some of these are junk (again, I use a cheap Chinese made one and it does the job). Choose the size of the umbrella and how compact you want it to be. Again, some cheap umbrellas really feel cheap. I have some small Elinchroms, they do the job nicely. www.mpex.com has a double-foldable Westcott umbrella that goes to a small size -- I ordered one but have not received it yet so can't comment on the quality, but it was recommended on strobist for mobile use. As mentioned, www.mpex.com has all of these in compact form in the strobist section. B&H probably also has them, but they are easier to find from mpex :-)</p>