light shield curtain closing lever handle broken in Mamiya 7 II ?

paolo_saccheri

<p>The lever handle for closing the shuttercurtain of the Mamiya 7II is very prone to braking since it's made of very thin plastic.<br>

The repair center will ask the correct sum of money to replace it with a new one but always in plastic.</p>

<p>There is no chance to find a new one in metal unless you do it yourself, and not everybody have a workshop for mechanical parts, so I am here to help if you want.<br>

I show you my spare part that I mounted on my Mamiya 7II (it was the first time in my life that I opened a camera!!). It's made in a hard kind of brass used for repairing clocks and other ship equipments and it's 2 mm thick. Very easy to do it yourself, no problems at all opening and closing. Assured :)))<br>

I have some more. You can write me on my email that you find under my profile. I hope this will help you.</p><div>00U8Xt-162059584.JPG.5f73342505dbb40bf6a8b517ed65bdb0.JPG</div>

<p>I don't know if you can remove the intact plastic part without braking it.<br />The plastic lever handle is kept in place by two inox spikes inserted into the handle from outside the base.<br />The holes of the plastic original part for those spikes are closed at the inner side, so you can't insert a point from inside to make them go out. The only chance is having a tool with which to hold firmly the inox spike from the tiny bit coming out from the base while still inserted in. And then pull.</p>

<p>My brass handle have passing through holes so you can remove the spikes from inside by pushing into a thin metal point, as I actually did when I discovered I put the metal spring, housed below the handle, turned upside down and so it didn't work. :)<br />Anyhow if you want to change it with the brass one you will never need any replacement forver, so either you can wait until the plastic one brakes or you brake it youself!! ;))</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had today half an answer from the workshop of a friend that will do the part on my design.<br />I must say that it's not made by a factory with computer machines but desinged, cut, drilled and finished by hand. The whole work is of high precision when doing the two tiny 1,2 mm holes for the 1 mm spikes since they have to be exacly in line together to make the handle lift freey. This is more than one hour work. <br /><br />Then I mount and dismount every single brass lever on my personal camera lever base to be sure everyone will receive a checked piece that will work properly. Together with the handle will come a simple instruction document with photos for the easy replacement.<br /><br />The price would be around 30 euros each + very little shipping cost. Friday I will be more detailed about it. For everybody's safe transaction I will sell it through ebay with my personal account "paolosaccheri".<br />Within friday everything should be set up!<br /><br />I hope this is fair enough for you.<br />All the best<br />Paolo Saccheri</p><div>00UBiq-164119584.JPG.e2517b8a69de18a5b4f12244ab5a1242.JPG</div>

<p>OK!<br>

I have 5 pieces done.<br>

Best price I can do is 29 euros each.<br>

The workshop can't do a tool to make a quick production with lower prices unless they have to make hundreds.<br>

The lever handles will be in ebay i think tomorrow under "Mamiya 7II brass lever handle"<br>

My best<br>

Paolo Saccheri</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I'm ready to buy one----let me know when you list it or send me your name and address and I'll send you a personal check. I'm "runningman" on Ebay and you will find that I am quite reliable if you review my feedback. This was a great idea and I thank you for implementing it. <br>

Bruce Fichelson<br>

barister@jps.net</p>

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
<p><strong>I have some news!!</strong><br />a <strong>BLACK </strong>painted solid brass lever handle!!!<br />it is the usual brass part but now it is lightly painted with a brass specific primer and then painted with a two-component high hardness black enamel specific for marine compasses!</p><div>00XFx2-278975584.JPG.99ea0479c133f084b77ba6235ae7faff.JPG</div>

• 6 months later...

<p>Hi Paolo<br>

Are you still making and selling them? If yes what would be the price + Freight to Perth, Western Australia.<br /> <br /> I broke mine many times and tried to glue it with Superglue but it never lasts long and it starts to look really ugly.<br /> <br /> I would really appreciate your reply.<br /> <br /> Thank you Paolo.<br /> <br /> <br /></p>

<p>Hello,<br>

I am happy I can contribute and solve the problems of many owners of this wonderful camera!<br>

Unhappily it happens quite often to force the lever so it breaks.<br>

Lately I had <strong>only black painted levers </strong>being made, they cost a little more but the look is another thing!<br>

Don't hesitate to contact me or reply to this post, I'll contact you right back!!<br>

my best<br>

Paolo</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>Hi there!<br />I would like to do a little summary of what happened in three years or just a bit more:<br /><br />43 photographers, mamiya 7II users needed a new lever since the original plastic one broke.<br /><br />13 from USA<br />25 from Europe<br />4 from Asia<br />1 from Africa<br /><br />All of them bought a new brass lever and were satisfied!<br />From now and then I make new ones and put them on ebay... just keep an eye on it. I am in Italy so probably you should look into international auctions.<br />ciao!!!</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<p><br />Hi Paolo,<br>

It was mentioned that you have produced Mamiya 7 Light shield curtain closing lever from brass.You also mentioned that you have a few more.<br>

It is tree years passed after your note. :-) I wonder if you have still have this mentioned closing black lever.<br>

Regards, HS<br /><br /></p>

Hi Haluk

Thank you for your interest,

I will get three new more spare black painted brass levers tomorrow and I will open a new auction tonight in the usual

buying bay area

If you check it ttonight or tomorrow you will find them. I sell from Italy.

Please let me know if you have any other needs.

Paolo

Hi Haluk

Thank you for your interest,

I will get three new more spare black painted brass levers tomorrow and I will open a new auction tonight in the usual

buying bay area

If you check it ttonight or tomorrow you will find them. I sell from Italy.

Please let me know if you have any other needs.

Paolo

• 1 year later...
<p>Hello,<br /> <br /> due to life circumstances I am going abroad to look for work.<br /> <br /> I am communicating this because the facilty I used to make the spare brass levers won't be handy where I go and I don't know if I will ever be able to make new ones in the future.<br /> Since Mamiya 7II levers carry on braking (I, from time to time, get orders) I write here to say that I have just few more on sale on ebay, sorry for this but it shouldn't be considered as an advertising, but a way to alert people who desire to carry on shooting happily with their Mamiya 7II and an unbroken lever.<br /> Few ones left, sorry.<br /> <br /> Thank you<br /> Paolo</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>Hello,<br>

The annoying problem of the broken plastic lever can be solved again!!<br>

<br /> I did an agreement with the mechanical workshop in Italy where I used to make the levers. They will do them on request. So if you need a new black brass lever, just ask me.</p><div>00dWpu-558768384.jpg.c51459b8f9c60f9221c80642012403d2.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...
<p>Hello,<br>

<br /> I did an agreement with the mechanical workshop in Italy where I used to make the levers. They will do them on request. So if you need a new black brass lever, just ask me.</p><div>[ATTACH=full]826441[/ATTACH]</div>

<p>Hello,<br>

<br /> I did an agreement with the mechanical workshop in Italy where I used to make the levers. They will do them on request. So if you need a new black brass lever, just ask me.</p><div>[ATTACH=full]826441[/ATTACH]</div>

Are these still available- Im based in the Uk- London. Mine has also snapped. here is my email address danciufo@gmail.com

• 3 months later...