Light Meter Using "AA" Batteries - $150 or so?

markdeneen

<p>I'm searching for a lightmeter in the range of $150 or so. I have a few requirements I am trying to meet.<br>

1. It can only use AA batteries. I don't want oddball batteries for anything.<br>

2. I'd like to be able to read degrees K directly in ambient light.<br>

3. I would prefer NOT to have ANY extraneous features like alarm clocks, GPS, built-in clocks of any kind, can openers, and so on.<br>

Suggestions appreciated. New is preferred to old.</p>

<p>Mark, per your second requirement, you are wanting the meter to tell you the light color in Kelvin?</p>

<p>If so, you are not looking for a light meter, you are looking for a <em>color</em> meter. Gossen has one for $975 and that's about the cheapest you'll find.</p>

<p>Otherwise, look for a light meter that reads flash, incident, and reflected. <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93222-REG/Shepherd_Polaris_SPD100_Polaris_Digital_Meter.html">Something like this one form Polaris.</a></p>

<p>A light meter measures the amount of light. A color temperature meter measures the colore temperature of light; say 2700K for a 60watt Edison; 3200K for B lights; 3400K for old Amateur photofloods; 5200 to 6200K for daylight.<br>

Requireing AA batteries for a lighlmeter is like wanting a car that runs with AA batteries; you just made a null Venn diagram.</p>

<p>As Rob says, the color temperature readout is problematic. I know of no current meters that measure both exposure and color temp, other than ones built into a DSLR. I think minolta made one years ago, but that doesn't help your search.</p>

<p>Other than that, the Sekonic L-308 series is an excellent, high quality choice. I use them all the time, after having worked through 3 or 4 other meters that proved less than satisfactory, and it meets all your other needs.</p>

<p>I love it when I can't even ask the right question! Thanks all----<br>

Ok, forget the temperature reading. Someone suggested that was easy to find and useful. I don't need it.<br>

However, the battery thing is important. I'll look up some of those mentioned.<br>

Thanks all for putting up with my stupidity,.</p>

<p>My L-308BII uses an AA battery and works very well for metering ambient and flash. It's an older model, superseded by the current L-308S, but the new model also uses a single AA cell. Of course it doesn't measure color temperature. A new L-308S is slightly above the target price mentioned in the original post, but not too far off. If you can find an older L-308BII, it should easily be within the budget.</p>

<p>Right - - I gave up on the color temperature aspect. That was pure ignorance on my part. I saw someone mention it as available, and obviously I misunderstood their meaning.<br>

I DID find the Luna SBC as mentioned above and I bought it used. It looks very neat and I am sure it will work fine for me. I would have preferred AA batts, but I can live with 9V. My main concern was to not have a million SKUs for batteries around my home. We generally try to keep everything to AA and we buy the big bricks at Costco. "Battery Management" is a big issue at our house which is (sadly) filled with 50 or 60 gadgets.</p>

<p>Hi Mark,<br>

Have you look in to Polaris SPD100? Use only one AA.<br>

<a href="http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/polaris/light-meters/PRD_85093_3115crx.aspx">http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/polaris/light-meters/PRD_85093_3115crx.aspx</a><br>

It is pretty simple to use, no bells and can openers. It is a flash meter too (with triggring capability). LCD is not back lit though.</p>

<p>I realize mark has bought a Gossen Luna, so my comments are for anyone else w/ an interest in this thread.<br>

mark has a most valid requirement for AA batteries or at least the standard sizes sold in any corner 7-11. Coin cells & odd ball sizes & voltages are a pita. I too buy bricks @ Costco. I also have to use AAA s, Cs, Ds, & 9Vs, as I also have a bazillion devices around my home. So I end up buying AAA s, C & D 9Vcell bricks, but that's OK. (Flashlights, etc.) They all get used up before expiration. <br>

I have spent hundreds over the past 25 yrs on rechargeable which has been a total waste of $$$. In the last year I got a Ni Hi “smart charger-conditioner”, hoping against hope. It can't charge – condition it's ass. I love to reduce environmental damage & save $$$, but have never found a rechargeable loose battery solution. Does anyone know of a good NiHi charger-conditioner for < $100? <$200 <$300? What does it take for a useful one? <br>

Dedicated rechargeables, are OK, such as Lithium in a computer, or cell phone, or GPS.<br>

My 2 cents</p>

<p>Jay--<br>

Cool. Another fan of standard batteries. I too have a billion devices, and I really hate special batteries of any kind. I tried all kinds of RatShack level "rechargeables" and never found it worth while. Waste of money compared to those magnificent copper tops!</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Hi Mark,</p>

<p>At nanoLambda, we are developing such a low cost color meter.<br>

Your price range is about right. Size could be close to a AA battery.<br>

Stay tuned.<br>

We will try our best to give you a good news soon.</p>

<p>Sincerely,</p>

<p>Bill Choi<br>

nanoLambda</p>