Light leak with a Fuji GA645Zi

graham_martin2

<p>I just ran a test roll of film through my recently acquired GA645Zi. When the negatives came back from the lab they showed significant light leakage. The lab suggested that during loading I might not have wound the film up tightly enough. They also suggested that when I unloaded the film I may not have wound it tightly enough either. The very first frame did not have any light leakage, but all subsequent ones did. As one can see from the sample image below one can even see some darker circles which almost look like sprocket holes. However, to the best of my knowledge MF film doesn't have sprocket holes.</p>

<p>Other than what the lab suggests could there be other causes for the light leakage?</p><div>00ZIAP-396033584.jpg.a94d15d8d2b5cbaf7dd46413c1a5bc6a.jpg</div>

<p>Hello, Graham,</p>

<p> The dots are patterns from the backing paper of the 120 film. The lab is right that the film spool was not wound tight enough, and light leaked onto the film after it was taken out of the camera. Could be a spring at the take up spool location that was missing or not pressing the film tight enough. I have some photos taken with a Fuji G690BL that had exactly the same problem:</p>

<p> <a href=" Pumpkins Leak on G690BL</a></p>

<p> I fixed it by adding some foam and tape on the weakened metal leaf at the take up spool location that is supposed to press the film against the spool firmly.</p>

<p>Thanks Q. G. and Yefei for confirming what my lab told me. I have put in another roll and I took extra care with loading, and will do the same when I remove it. Yefei, you are exactly right about having the same issue as mine. Luckily, the camera came with a 6 month warranty from KEH, and I will send it back if the second roll has the same problem.</p>

<p>While I have not scanned any GA645Zi light-leak pictures to show here, I have to concur. I thought I was quite handy with mechanical things (repairing both cars and Pronto shutters with reasonable results) so loading a 120-film would be a no brainer... Well, it turns out that I should have been more careful:( Spoiled a few frames in the beginning. A note to self is to keep the film taught at all times and not just "swap rolls" but more "install film". Takes more care than I initally thought. Oh, well, that done, it is my favourite 645, with very sharp images. Good luck with yours!</p>