life with a Tiltall tripod

ken_schroeder

This is "the sequel" to my posting about the Zone VI tripod. Once

again, this posting is not to compare the Tiltall to any other

tripod, merely to share some thoughts on keeping it functional. I

bought my Tiltall in 1980 and use it primarily for 35mm. I do use it

with my 4x5 field camera when traveling light.

I have heard horror stories about aluminum tripods galling and

dying. I photographed at Point Lobos about sixteen years ago. I was

concerned about the effect of the salt water and spray on the

Tiltall. I stopped at the nearest store and bought a can of WD40 and

a roll of paper towels. Next order of business was a thorough WD40

bath for the tiltall. Was this overkill?...don't know, but the

Tiltall still works... and now I would not travel near salt water

without WD40 and paper towels.

The salesman told me the anodized finish would never come

off.....which is about 96% accurate. No complaints on that.

Initially I had trouble remembering which knob controlled elevation

and which controlled rotation. A couple pieces of tape with arrows

and experience took care of that problem.

I wish the round top was a little larger. That would probably be a

constraint for 35mm, but it would be nice for 4x5. I have thought

about trying a Bogen flat adaptor for the 3047 hex plates. Has

anyone tried that?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the Tiltall ideal for 4x5" when I'm travelling light (which I tend to be, if I'm shooting 4x5" rather than 8x10"). I made the platform smaller though, not larger, because it interfered with the rotating back and the bed drop on my field camera. A slice off the back and slice off the front, and now it works perfectly.

The Tiltall correctly precedes the Leica distribution by many years. It was

originally manufactured by Marchioni in Rutherford, NJ. I thought they started

around 1954 but it could have been before WWII. They went out of business

sometime in the late 60s or 70s and then the Tiltall was manufactured by Star

and they did a lousy job. leitz then picked up the brand and did a much better

job but still not up to the original.

You will find that the originals just keep going like a 1957 Chevy. As for what

they can do ..... no, they are not made to handle a heavy studio camera at full

extension but they can do it if you are careful. I have one of the original

marchioni Tiltalls that I was given in the late 1950's and it was the only tripod I

owned through the early 1970's. For a time I hauled a Linhof Kardan Color S

out to the field on that tripod and it worked ok. These days the old guy is sorta

retired but it is a wonderful design that remains very solid.

If you can find one of the originals, one that says Marchioni on the nameplate,

you will have a workhorse that will outlive all of us.

Ted�

The bright finished Tiltall Model #4602 here is from the late 1960's; and made by C.M.Marchioni in Rutherford New Jersey.<BR><BR> One of my 1960's rangefinders had a shallow 1/4-20 socket on its base; so I always needed a shim between the tripod and the camera. Also my Exakta VX500 had a nickel sized post; and needed to be tightened real tight. So I removed the blue/grey thin leather from the tripod clamp area; and replaced it with a piece of thick rough leather; for added grip and spacing. The leather was 5 minute epoxied in place 30 years ago; and still works well.<BR><BR>The tiltall history is documented in "The Photography Catalog" copyright 1976 by Normal Snyder. The tiltall of aluminum was brought out around WW2; and made out of aircraft aluminum. Tiltall sould out to Leitz in 1973. A cheaper knock off copy was made by Star-D in 1973.....

In the mid 1970's the Star-D and Tiltall were built by differnt companies. The Star-D cost alot less; and had lower quality slip/leg twist clamps...<BR><BR>The Tiltall story implies that Charles Marchioni made a Tiltall tripod before WW2; and changed the design to aircraft aluminum during WW2. He sold ice cream during the 1930's.<BR><BR>The local camera store here had black Lietz tiltalls for about 130 bucks; and the cheaper Star-D knock off tripod for about 85 bucks; in the mid 1970's. My friend got the cheaper one; and it died a decade or two later.

I have a Tiltall, 4602, made by Marchioni. I got it about 1970. I've used it with a Horseman Technical Camera since that time and since July of 2002 with a Toho FC-45X. The Toho is basically a monorail, but it is very light, even lighter than the Horseman, although of course it extends further, so potentially torque could be higher. I've used it with up to a 300 mm lens. It seems more than adequate for my use. I suppose I might need a heavier tripod in heavy winds, but I wouldn't normally be taking pictures in such circumstances. The Tiltall is also quite light, weighing about 6 pounds.

In the 70s, I used the tripod with my Horseman on Martha's Vineyard where it was exposed to relatively salty air, but I never actually put it in the surf. I never had any problems with binding. I found that it was sufficient to wipe it clean after an outing. The center post can sometimes get a bit slippery if it is not clean.

The only major problem I had with this tripod was basically my own fault. The legs screw into the top and one leg came loose without my noticing it. As a result, the thread stripped. I thought that in order to get something as rigid and light I would have to lay out $500 or more. Fortunately some epoxy worked wonders, and it is now as sturdy as ever, if not more so.

ken, I know of two models of the Tilt-all. I've got one of each. The "Junior" is well, a junior version of the big one and IMHO not suitable for anything larger than MF. The larger version(mine is a cheesy gold anodized color) handles my Crown nicely. They are now made in China and while I haven't seen one of the chinese examples, I'm suspicious of the quality of the imports, since Tilt-all 4x5 film holders(I assume products of the same overseas company) have had condemning reviews by others on this forum. As for the american built tilt-alls, I think they are well made(perhaps overbuilt like a DC-3?)and I like mine---for an aluminium tripod with twist leg locks its a good choice. Mine came back from hawaii in the baggage compartment of a 757 without a scratch(it wasn't packed in a case!) I don't know if a lighter wieght Berlebach would have survived that kind of abuse. The major criticism I've heard regarding the tilt-all is it's fixed head, so if you must have a ball head on your tripod, the Tilt-all would be a no-go. I think the Tilt-all(the big one) is a fine choice for a 4x5----------Cheers!

Mine's still going strong since 1965. Nothing wrong with your cleaning method. Since they don't make them like this anymore, take good care of it. They just keep going like that little bunny - but better - no batteries to replace.

Hi Guys:

I hate to be the only decenting voice here but. . . . .

I bought a use Tilt-All 'bout twenty years ago (used) at a camera show in Pasadena, CA. Can't complain 'bout the weight or sturdiness, but the knurled (sp?) twist locks on the legs made me get rid of it in a few years of constant use. By the end of a long shooting day my hands would be raw. Now I'm useing a big honking Bogen with a 3047 head. A bit heavier to be sure but much easier on the hands.

Back in 1984 I almost lost my black Tiltall when I walked away from it in a wheat field at 10pm on a moonless night. I was doing a story on wheat harvest teams working at night - time exposures, etc. I had to ask the combine crews to walk the fields with me to find it so they wouldn't run it through their expensive threshers. Today, my old 3-legged helper has glow-in-the-dark tape around each leg (which are also epoxied on) so I can always find him in the dark!

Wow!

I would have never thought to find so many Tiltall lovers! I bought my Leitz version about 1975 and use it frequently. The paint is chipped a bit (it ought to be) and I've replaced the fiber shim in the center post once. Its still going strong and probably will outlast me. I cut the handles down to make them more compact which is about all I can think of that can make a Tiltall better. Its great with a Crown Graphic and anything smaller in my opinion. Pretty good with larger stuff too. Not the largest or smallest or the heaviest or the lightest just a really useful tripod.

I use the Hasselblad quick release plate on my Tiltall (when I'm using a Hassleblad) and it works quite well. I use the Bogen 5 sided plates and QR on my big tripod and I think they would be fine on the Tiltall too.

Oddly enough I was working on converting my tiltall to a large Boegn 3055 today. Not really sure how old mine is, made in Rutherford, but the conversion was quite simple.First take the original centerstalk out now go to your dealer and buy a replacement Bogen top plate. Unfortunately this is to small for the tube which needs to be inserted in the center hole but do not give up yet. Next go to home depot and pick up a 3/8 x 3" bolt of your choice, a copper pipe 1" coupler(about 2" long). Now you are ready to assemble.Oops forgot one more peice you will need large flat washer approximately sme size in diameter as the coupler. The Bogen plate is already threaeded for standard 3/8" bolote so assembly is quite simple,bolt goes through washer then through coupler then threads into Bogen plate and into the bottom of your choice of head . Tighten it up firmly and set the three set screws so it will not rotate and presto you are done. Insert into the center hole and tighten normally. You will not be able to move the center up and down but it is still tall anyway and best of all if you want to switch back for any reason just loosen and replace with the origianl head. I bought mine because it was so tall but my preference is for the ball head and it works great this way. Cheers George

I bought my Tiltall in 1965, and it's been in continuous service ever since (in my son's care, at present).

Years ago, I was told to put a little vasoline on the legs, particularly after getting them wet or using them in snow. That worked well, but I'd bet that WD-40 would work even better. I replaced the original blue plastic pad with cork/rubber gasket material from an auto shop. Once, I put some white (Lithium) grease on the clamp screws, and I've never had to re-lube since.

You have an early warning about galling when you feel a roughness in some action. Take care of it right away.

Edward, I believe you have the senior tripod. You must be doing something right. I did not know it at the time of "the bath", but the WD in WD40 stands for water displacing. I like your cork idea. I cut a piece of plastic milk jug to do the same. Believe it or not, that simple piece of plastic is still going strong after twenty years. I think the cork would be an improvement. I seem to remember putting some grease on the handle screws about ten years ago. A second application wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the response.

" It had already been in production since before WW2 when Leica took over its manufacture."

Not really.

Leica's U.S. subsidiary purchased Tiltall well after WW2. StarD bought it when Leica USA gave it up. Star D manufactured both the Tiltall and the Star D copy until they went bankrupt. The trustee then sold the name and whatever was left to the current Chinese manufacturer.

• 3 months later...
It may be too late to add this to the mix but I just bought a Gitzo center column to replace my Leitz Tiltall column (by Marchione)with the unremovable pan and tilt head that it came with. The new column fits perfectly (1.25" dia.) and provides an excellent support for my Kaiser Ballhead. The entire assembly is now rock solid and comparable to any of the Series 3 Gitzos in my opinion. The unit I have is model 1317C,rapid column at $89.00 at B&H, but the 1335C, which is the low column is much cheaper but will also work well. If you own an old Tiltall and want to convert it to a world class tripod, I highly recommend adding the Gitzo column. It beats having to make your own or buying a new comparable tripod for $400.

• 4 months later...

I have the basic Leitz Tiltall appox 25+ years old.

If I get this right, you cannot remove the head and replace with somthing else?

There is a set screw in base of current head, perpendicular to column. I had hoped this would lead to head removal and, best of all, some form of 3/8" fitting.

Guess not?

Leaves replacing the whole column assembly. The Gizo column has a 3/8" connection? Will have to reresearch that.

Ultimately wanted to attach a Bogen BG-3265 one hand head.

Thanks for any help.

Bobby