Library of Congress Photo Collections

Some time ago, I posted a Library of Congress ("LOC") collection of Ansel Adams' photos of Japanese interment camps in the US, primarily Manzanar. Earlier today, knowing that the LOC is huge, I just started browsing and found a collection of images from Frank and Frances Carpenter - father and daughter. These photos were taken almost around the entire planet- the Far and Near East, the Americas, etc. Here's a link to the collection: About this Collection  |  Carpenter Collection  |  Digital Collections  |  Library of Congress. Below is a copy of a photo, I randomly selected.

service-pnp-cph-3a30000-3a38000-3a38600-3a38699r.jpg.813a49623e6afe7204b67f3aacd730d1.jpg

• Like 5

Some time ago, I posted a Library of Congress ("LOC") collection of Ansel Adams' photos of Japanese interment camps in the US, primarily Manzanar. Earlier today, knowing that the LOC is huge, I just started browsing and found a collection of images from Frank and Frances Carpenter - father and daughter. These photos were taken almost around the entire planet- the Far and Near East, the Americas, etc. Here's a link to the collection: About this Collection | Carpenter Collection | Digital Collections | Library of Congress. Below is a copy of a photo, I randomly selected.

[ATTACH=full]1389533[/ATTACH]

There was a book published of Ansel Adams's photos of Manzanar. I had a copy and sent it to the Manzanar National Historical Site.

• Like 3

Thanks for bringing this up again.

It's an incredible archive.

(another example at Turkish girls no longer run from cameras and picture takers no longer fear irate Turk husbands As in New York ferryboats play over the waters of Constantinople and peanut shells, fruit skins and crying babies decorate the decks.)

There are also other major archives in some other Federal institutions/

• Like 1

There was a book published of Ansel Adams's photos of Manzanar. I had a copy and sent it to the Manzanar National Historical Site.

David, donating that book to the Manzanar Historic Site truly was a humanitarian act. You certainly earned lots of brownie points!

• Like 1

A couple of years back, I saw an excellent exhibit at the International Center of Photography in NY which displayed and compared Dorothea Lange's and Ansel Adams's photos of Manzanar. Hopefully, whoever displays the Adams photos will have some of Lange's on hand as a counterpoint. Each had a distinctly different story to tell, Lange's providing more context and harsh truths and Adams's providing more optimism and what many think was whitewashing.

LINK

• Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

A couple of years back, I saw an excellent exhibit at the International Center of Photography in NY which displayed and compared Dorothea Lange's and Ansel Adams's photos of Manzanar. Hopefully, whoever displays the Adams photos will have some of Lange's on hand as a counterpoint. Each had a distinctly different story to tell, Lange's providing more context and harsh truths and Adams's providing more optimism and what many think was whitewashing.

LINK

Sam - Alas, during my last time in pre-pandemic NYC, the ICP was in the process of moving to a downtown location. Many thanks for the link.

LINK

Didn't know there was also a book by Lange. I found the book by Adams by accident. Since i had been to Manzanar, I bought the book.

The link is interesting.

• Like 2

OP...NICE!

LOC is OK. They are a pain for downloads. Big TIFFS generally with no PP or useless low res JPEG's. Their TIFFS are sometimes not that great for all the hassle.

I've done a few project with some of their photos.

Here are 2 of them

Internet Archive Search: sodbusters in transition

Internet Archive Search: The Cotton Pickers... D.D.Teoli Jr.

• Like 2

OP...NICE!

LOC is OK. They are a pain for downloads. Big TIFFS generally with no PP or useless low res JPEG's. Their TIFFS are sometimes not that great for all the hassle.

I've done a few project with some of their photos.

Here are 2 of them

Internet Archive Search: sodbusters in transition

Internet Archive Search: The Cotton Pickers... D.D.Teoli Jr.

I'd say you gave it the good old college try.

LINK

Sam, thanks to the link you provided, I read the article. Adams' and Lange's images it contains indeed demonstrate clearly different styles, perhaps due to their respective intentions for their work. Whether or not I agree with those who claim that Adams deliberately sanitized his Manzanar photos, clearly the difference is noticeable. The article's sample Adams photo looks like he posed the subject, while the Lange piece is a straightforward "street" shot.