Let us celebrate the life (and death?) of Avedon.

Ok, I should clarify this more, I think so people dont think I'm a ghoul...

I'm not saying "Yay, richard Avedon is dead! He was such a terrible man." What I

mean to ask is, Is it better for photography in general, or fashion and portrait

photography in specific in this case, not to have the old stone lion(s) around

anymore?

Don't get me wrong, Avedon was and is one of the photogs I look up to most. He had

a profound effect on so much that we don't even notice.

At the same time, he did have many, many, many of the large advertising gigs

wrapped up (Kenneth Cole, Levis, Dior, Club Monaco [to name a few this year]) which

left little room for anyone new to get in there....and who can blame the art directors, I

mean he was Richard Avedon!!

Those campaigns will now likely be taken over by other top names in commercial/advertsing photography--it seems unlikely that any "new blood" will suddenly be vaulted to the top to shake things up. I guess Avedon's death is good news for the bank accounts of the other top photographers who fill his spot, but I don't really see it as a particularly good thing for photography.

Excuse me for saying so but this is a dumb question. The guy was a great photographer. He lived a long time and left behind a body of work as well done as any. His life impacted photography enormously. His death was inevitable. I don't see how it would affect the broad spectrum of "photography" at all.

My personal viewpoint on this statement by restating the statement in a more logical manner......Philistine Would I be a if I that Richard Avedon's death today was a good, if not great thing for photography. Yes, he I thought was brilliant, and yes, this certainly is no good at all for his . But is it bad for family and friends of tography?family and friends if not great thing....

What a cold, inane comment. He was in his early 80s and obviously not the force he was--but what a force! Go back and look at his pioneering fashion work from the 50s or the documentary portrait style he was still developing for the New Yorker when he collapsed in Texas. He died knowing something and likely forgot more than you'll even know.Whether you stand on his shoulders--or his face--you can't deny his work benefited us all.

I never meant to imply that Avedon was not brilliant in any way. I'd agree with all his

boosters by saying he was one of the most influential shooters, ever. And if I could

know a portion of all that he forgot, I think I'd be well ahead in my own game.

But looking around Toronto today, I must have seen at least 20 or more billboards

with his shots on them, and more with those of the ones who chose (and always

failed) to copy him.

Photographers don't retire, at least none of the good ones seem to (apart from

Cartier-Bresson who kind of did when he started painting again), and I hope none of

those who are left ever do either. They just get better and better as they gain

experience--the longer they live, the better they seem to become. The only way the

old vanguard leaves us is when they pass on.

At the same time though, they all (most anyway) only seem to be focusing in on one

thing in some way. They don't offer many new ideas, they just perfect old ones

(briliantly though, I must say). Avedon did make a departure from his white

backgrounds for a time, and W. Eugene Smith resorted to taking pics of his cats when

he found himself to weak to leave his apartment, (etc, etc,) but it is their signature

work that we remember most vividly.

Their work never dies, only their ability to create more.