Let the speculation begin! (pre-PMA week)

chip l.

We are already hearing of some new products (the Epson 4990 scanner and the r1800

printer). What will PMA hold for Leica?

I hope that the rumored "tele" Tri Elmar that was mentioned in the pre-R9 digital back web

chat might see the light of day. Now that the 501CM has gone (along with the Bronica

SLRs), Leica IMO needs to show that they have some marketing muscle in order to survive.

The 90mm macro caught many by surprise, so what do you think might happen this week

or two. Both with Leica and Cosina?

Companies still advertise items; to sell off the old stock. Many times the public has no clue when actual production stopped at all. It does no good to stop advertising; when a bloaded pipe of goods has to be worked off. With the old Kodak Retina Reflex; the production was stopped a year or two before the "offical production stopped notice/news" was released to the public. Even in the late 1970's; Kodak still had Retina Reflex lenses still in stock; advertised in their pro catalogs. Advertising is required to move goods; hiding doesnt work; when goods need to be sold.

Ah well. Back to PMA.

A couple of things I want to see...

Affordable digital backs for Rolleiflexes (!)

Scaled down basic range of fast primes for APS sensored DSLRs (especially Nikon) so we have the true equivalent of a 50mm f/1.4 AF (33mm f/1.4 AF) and 24mm f/2 (16mm f/2) and 85mm f/1.4 (56mm f/1.4) all with the same filter size.

Zeiss Ikon digital with full frame sensor.

I don't want much do I?

Trevor, i work for a camera dealer. I just went back to the sales floor. A buddy of mine

informed me about some of the changes since I left "sales". Among them was a

restructuring of the Hassy line-up. The 501 series is now sold based on availability. The

503 will be the only V series camera.

I will check with my bosses and see if I can post the official list from Hassy. It was real sad

for an old timer like me to read. Add to that much of the Contax line is now gone. In MF it

appears that Mamiya is the clear winner at this point. With Hassy hanging their hat on the

H and X series. With Leica being the bearer for the 35mm RF market at this point (Cosina/

Bessa not withstanding)

Gary, you have to realize how some of the companies work. Hassy may have notified their

dealers that the 501CM has been discontinued, but some dealers may have inventory that

they need to move. So as long as both have inventory, you will see it offered on the Hassy

website.

This is in some ways better than the way Bronica/Tamron announced and handled the exit

from the MF SLR market.

In the end not much different from retailers offering the M6TTL bodies as new at this time.

My take is that 35mm film photography will take the position of MF and LF photography in

history. Meaning that the gear will become more expensive over the next 5 years as digital

gains more of the market. And there will be us diehards that will not let go till the last roll

of Tri-X film is taken from our cold, dead hand.

Leica might show the digital back for the r series and announce that they are for sale. I hope that Pentax announces a digital camera for the 645 series of lenses(a digital solution to their 645 line). I hope to see larger digital chips integrated into new slr's and in turn the epson rd-1 will be updated with a larger chip (and of course become cheaper). Even though I don't shoot digital, I still like to see technological advances in the lines because that means that the cameras will continue to get better and less expensive. I would love to see a medium format rangefinder line come out with an f2 lens (I know I am pissing in the wind with that one).

I would really like to see Leica come out and say that they are going to be producing lenses for other camera makers.

>Dennis Couvillion , feb 13, 2005; 04:31 p.m.

>Pardon my profound ignorance, but why hasn't anyone produced fast MF lenses? Does it

have to do with size, cost... or some other technical reason?

Size. And cost. I'd love a faster lens for a Mamiya 7, but it would have to be a big sucker.

Look at the lenses for the Hassy Xpan, slooow.

I wonder if Minolta is going to announce a replacement for the 5400 scanner... that I think

I'll wait and see. Might mean a price drop on the 5400 if true...

I was really referring to a fast lens for a medium format rangefinder camera like the bronica or mamiya. I personally think these systems won't be updated at all, but it doesn't cause concern for me because the bronica serves me fine.

Trevor Hare:

"Scaled down basic range of fast primes for APS sensored DSLRs (especially Nikon) so we have the true equivalent of a 50mm f/1.4 AF (33mm f/1.4 AF) and 24mm f/2 (16mm f/2) and 85mm f/1.4 (56mm f/1.4) all with the same filter size."

It's already beginning:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021404sigma30dc.asp

Yes, I know it's only a Sigma, but the fact that they've done it, means that there is probably a market for these, which means it's likely to be cashed in on by one of the real makers. Nikon that is. :)

Ross, I'm not joking. Until Epson announced the R-D1, Leica was adamant that there

would NEVER be a digital M. It was simply impossible to do.

The week Epson announced the R-D1 Leica had changed their tune. They were 'working

on it' for a 'possible 2006 release'. They admitted by this move that they feared the R-D1.

Otherwise, why have vaporware? They have even published photoshopped images of what

the Digital M 'may' look like in their magazine. It's probably as far as they have gotten on

the project.

Leica has recently admitted that they're hemorrhaging cash and have delayed their Digital

Modul R. There isn't a single full resolution sample image from the Digital Modul R yet.

They have still to make a digital camera since the scanning M mount monstrosity they had

years back (remember, Panasonic makes all of Leica's digital cameras).