Leotax Leonon-S 50mm f2 LTM Lens

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by aleceiffel, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hi, newbie here (my name’s Andrew not Alec as my profile would suggest). I recently decided to play another round of Russian Roulette with some of my hard earned on the big auction site and bought a Leotax Leonon-S 50mm f2 LTM for my Canon VL2, it’s in very good condition and it’s definitely a keeper. It seems like a bit of a rare beast, and I wondered whether anyone knows anything about it? as there seems to be precious little info on it. If you look at my public photos you can see some shots I took with it last week, if anybody is interested.

2. SCL

SCL

My familiarity with it is only what I have read long ago...which indicated it to be a "worthy" lens. From your pictures two things seem evident...it handles contrast well, not too soft nor offensively abrupt, and it focuses well on your camera body. I'd definitely say it is a keeper! Congratulations on your acquisition.

aleceiffel likes this.
  3. Thanks for the info, that's an interesting read. I wonder if mine is a different or later version though? That version looks very similar to the Topcor 50mm f2 and has a minimum aperture of f22 whereas mine has a different ridged barrel and a minimum aperture of f16. Take a look, I'll post some pics.

IMG_20180607_144800.jpg

4. Sorry, having problems with the file uploads.

5. Many of the Japanese lenses produced after the war were made before the war, including the Nikkor 5cm F1.5, Nikkor 5cm F2, and Simlar (Leotax) 5cm F1.5. Each of the lenses were a unique computation, as the Japanese glass and focal length was different than their German counterparts. The Simlar 5cm F1.5 was a unique 1-3-2-1 configuration, also used in the Canon 85/1.5 produced starting in the early 1950s.

aleceiffel likes this.