Lenses for Nikon FE2 and FM

timwitt

<p>I have an FM and FE2 in black, too pretty to get rid of so I may just use them. I've shot mainly Canon FD since 1981 and EOS. I have these lenses:<br>

35-70mm f3.3-4.5 Zoom Nikkor<br>

28mm f2.8 Sigma Mini-Wide<br>

28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Kiron<br>

70-210mm f3.5-4.0 BBAR Tamron SP Adaptall 2<br>

I want to build a kit of a 24mm f2.8 or 28mm if this Sigma is good,<br>

a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8,<br>

a 135mm f2.8,<br>

a 28-70/85/105/135 range or a 35-70/85/105/135 range zoom and<br>

maybe a 70-210 range zoom.<br>

I would rather have constant aperature AI or AIS type lenses and internal focus so the front objective does not rotate. I really don't care if they are Nikon brand as long as the IQ is good.<br>

I know nothing about Nikon lenses so I'm asking for practical guidance. I won't get all lenses at once but I want to begin aquiring them when the price is right.<br>

The variable aperature lenses that I have may be good, especially the Kiron but I don't know how well they work with these bodies.<br>

Too many cameras, why start another system? Oh well......here goes.</p>

<p>I have a 135mm f/2.8 E series lens that I like. Variable aperture lenses are a PITA when working with a manual focus film camera. You may find this site useful. It discusses just about everything there is for Nikon manual focus lenses. See the links at the bottom of the page http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/slr8283.htm#fe2</p>

<p>I bet there are Nikon and better known non-manufacturer lenses that are very good and those to stay away from. I just don't have any idea but I have determined AI or AIS type lenses would be the best for the FE2 and FM. I can use non AI lenses on the FM but not the FE2. I want any lens that I get to work on either camera.<br>

I've been checking KEH and ebay but want to get reccomendations before getting that undesirable lens.</p>

<p>Hi Tim, I purchased an FE and an FM from KEH within the last 2 months or so. Personally the direction I am going to head with these cameras is going to be primes. I have and use the F2/50 AI Nikon most of the time. I also use an old Vivitar 24 that I can only do stop down metering on. I also picked up the 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor from KEH in ugly condition for 29 bucks. That is why I specifically picked up the FE because it can use the old non AI Nikkors. These are outstanding cameras for the money. Might I suggest you check out a bargain (even ugly) motor drive from KEH? I think mine is an MD 12 that I paid 14 bucks for. I most certainly do not need it but quite frankly it looks cool on the camera! At the risk of getting flamed, you really can't go wrong with most of the older Nikkor primes...especially at the prices these days.<br>

Have fun with your cameras!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Tim,</p>

<p>I too have a Nikon FE2, being the sole refugee from the Nikonista camp in my collection of Canon FD gear. After a long time as a die-hard Canon user (since July 10, 1973!), I wanted to add a Nikon to my assemblage of 80's analog photo gear. I picked up a nice clean FE2 with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and added an MD-12 motor drive. I was pleased with the setup, even if the 50's focus ring isn't as dampened as much as I like (it feels too loose).</p>

<p>I wanted to add a few other lenses for it as most of my glass is FD. Yesterday, I happened to be at the local camera store when the owner showed me a box of stuff he had bought. A rather eclectic assortment of odds and ends. What caught my eye was a 75-200 f2.8-3.5 Quantaray. At first glance, I thought it might be a Minolta MD mount, but I was told it was a Nikon AI mount. There was also a Quantaray 28-85 f3.5-4.5. Both required a little cleaning of the glass and were in remarkably good condition. The 28-85 even came with the box, instructions and warranty cards.</p>

<p>Normally I stay away from 'off bands' but both of these looked very well mad and looked to be optically sound as well. Conventional thinking is that the Quantaray was made mostly by Sigma for Ritz Camera chain. There were certainly other manufactures mentioned (Kiron and Tokina).</p>

<p>Since I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money on Nikkors (although if money was no object....) i asked how much for the pair. He said, $40. Sold.</p>

<p>I now have the range from 28 to 200mm covered for about a tank of gas (OK, maybe that's not a good way to look at it today). The build quality is very good to excellent. An added bonus is they both have 67mm filter threads, a size I have plenty of.</p>

<p>I haven't had time to test them out, but I think they will be better than average. I guess I could get a Nikon to EOS adapter and use my 1D MkIII and shoot some IQ tests. Or, I could shoot a roll of film :-).</p>

<p>Ed</p><div>00YHNr-335077684.JPG.1ff0c627dcbc073ad61ed23220f923b3.JPG</div>

<p>You'd have to try that Sigma out yourself, but if you want a 50mm, the Nikon AI and AIS versions are all great. The earlier version of the 50/1.8 AIS (the larger version with a larger zoom ring) is a stand out sharp lens. That Kiron zoom is likely a very good lens, try it out and see. Kiron was one of the better 3rd party lens makers and has a bit of a cult following. That's an AI lens, right? AI and AIS lenses are good on FM's and FE's.</p>

<p>If you're looking for good lenses, go to this site: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html (There are very few reviewers on the net that know what they're talking about, he does.) Lenses I can vouch for are the 28/2.8 AIS, 35/2 AIS, 50/1.8 (long nose) AIS, 105/2.5 AI or AIS, 135/2.8 AI or AIS and 200/4 AIS.<br>

Nikon is known for their optics and there isn't much point in getting 3rd party lenses. Otherwise you might just as well stick with your Canon gear ;-)</p>

<p>The Sigma 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 wide angle primes are supposed to be decent. I've got to think they're better than the short end of most standard zooms, especially those from the manual-focus era. Me, I'd probably think about hunting down a Nikkor for the 'full experience' but maybe that doesn't need to be the first priority.</p>

<p>Not based on personal experience, but if I ever try a manual focus Nikon experiment, I'd probably want to give the 25-50/4 and 50-135/3.5 a try based on what I've read and my own preferences.</p>

<p>Tim, one more comment, that Kiron lens you have listed is a sleeper. If you do a little research, I think you will find that the Kiron brand is quite highly thought of. I have one now and sold one a year or two ago...VERY well made with great optics!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>All of my lenses are AI other than the AIS 35-70 f3.3-4.5. My research indicates this cute little lens is a very poor performer.<br>

The Kiron is nice, looks like new, but has the variable aperature f2.8-3.8.<br>

The Sigma 28mm is likely the best lens I have. I'll give it a try to see how it performs. I'll guess, a Nikon 28mm f2.8 is not significantly better. A wide angle lens is not my first lens priority anyway.<br>

I don't like the overall length of the Tamron 70-210 but it does have an Adaptall 2 mount. I would consider another Adaptall 2 lens to use with the mount I have. So far, I haven't seen any Adaptall 2 lens that I want.<br>

I have a Tamron 105mm f2.5 in Adaptall (1) mount (OM) but no Adaptall (1) mount for Nikon AI. I don't know if there is anything special about the lens but I do like 100/105mm lenses.<br>

First lens priority is a 28-70/80, 35-70mm or 36-72mm range lens then a 80-200mm. I'm currently researching which to get. I haven't found any rear focus Nikon zooms. All Nikon zooms considered to be "good" are front focus and constant aperature.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you're willing to cave and use an AF lens, the <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF28105mm/index.htm">Nikkor 28-105/3.5-4.5 AF D IF</a> is supposed to be above average, don't know whether this counts as "good" or not--offers good range and internal focus (front element doesn't turn when focusing/zooming) though naturally it's variable aperture too. Another benefit for the IF models is that they usually manage pretty good minimum focus distance across the whole focus range, don't need any trick 'macro modes', etc. that only allow reduced distance at one end of the zoom range.</p>

<p>I believe that the 50-135/3.5 I mentioned has non-rotating front element--this was more common in manual focus tele-zooms. I'm not aware of any manual focus standard zooms with internal focus from any manufacturer--doesn't mean they don't exist, but I don't think they're very common.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<p>Update on lenses: I bought a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS (large zoom ring), Nikkor 135mm f3.5 AI, Quantaray 28mm f2.8, SB15 flash and a FG from a co-worker. Everything functions properly but I haven't shot any film.<br>

I would rather have the FM and FE2 and sell the FG (odd man out).<br>

Future update planned.</p>