Lenses for 'new' N8008s

andycollins4716

I recently acquired an N8008S that came with 3 lenses, an AF Nikkor 35-70mm, AF Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6, and an AF Nikkor 28mm f.2.8D. I've not used many of Nikon's early AF bodies (I had an N90 for a couple of weeks many years ago) but I imagine these are pretty basic but solidly performing lenses. My question is which of Nikon's 50mm f/1.4 lenses is most compatible with the N8008s? It seems to me that I read somewhere that certain lenses are fully compatible with the camera while others aren't, and I'd like to make sure that I get the one that was meant for this body. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Nikon introduced AF-D lenses in 1992 along with the N90/F90. The N8008/F801 is pre-D technology; that is, whether a lens is D or Pre-D makes no difference to the N8008.

Again, the N8008 family can drive AF and AF-D screwdriver lenses to auto focus, but any AF-S lenses becomes manual focus only on the N8008. That is the main issue to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Another reason to avoid the 50mm AF-S lenses on this body is that they are G lenses (i.e., they lack aperture rings). Neither your camera nor the N90/F90 can manually control the aperture on these lenses, so you'd be stuck at minimum aperture in M and A modes. If you buy more lenses in future, you also need to avoid AF-P (won't focus at all, even manually) and electronic aperture 'E' lenses (no aperture control).
  • Like 1

Big bright viewfinder and rangefinder focus spot make it easy.

Just as a point of interest, none of Nikon's optical viewfinders can make use of lenses brighter than f/1.8.

To clarify, fitting an f/1.4 or f/1.2 lens doesn't make the viewfinder image any brighter than with an f/1.8 lens. Nor does it show a shallower depth-of-field.

This can be easily verified by fitting an f/1.4 lens and setting it to f/1.8. Press the DoF preview button and there's absolutely no change visible in the viewfinder. Nor is any detectable by an eyepiece photometer.

I've tried this with multiple Nikon SLRs and DSLRs. None I've yet tried have a brighter viewfinder with a lens over f/1.8 aperture.

So if you think an f/1.4 lens is going to make for brighter viewing or easier manual focus, think again.

I still haven't figured out exactly why this phenomenon occurs. Something to do with exit-pupil vignetting in the reflex viewing system I suspect.

Just as a point of interest, none of Nikon's optical viewfinders can make use of lenses brighter than f/1.8.

To clarify, fitting an f/1.4 or f/1.2 lens doesn't make the viewfinder image any brighter than with an f/1.8 lens. Nor does it show a shallower depth-of-field.

This can be easily verified by fitting an f/1.4 lens and setting it to f/1.8. Press the DoF preview button and there's absolutely no change visible in the viewfinder. Nor is any detectable by an eyepiece photometer.

I've tried this with multiple Nikon SLRs and DSLRs. None I've yet tried have a brighter viewfinder with a lens over f/1.8 aperture.

So if you think an f/1.4 lens is going to make for brighter viewing or easier manual focus, think again.

I still haven't figured out exactly why this phenomenon occurs. Something to do with exit-pupil vignetting in the reflex viewing system I suspect.

I have to test that Joe.

Manual Ai lenses are another option. Big bright viewfinder and rangefinder focus spot make it easy.

My eyesight is not the best so I find quite difficult to manually focus with this cameras (in general, with almost all AF screens), so I have to rely on the electronic rangefinder confirmation dot which slows down the operation quite a bit. And I wonder if there is a split image replacement screen for this camera. if I recall it correctly, it doesn't.

Edited by jose_angel

I don't think it's just Nikons. I tried stopping a number of cameras down from F/1.4 to F/2.0. On a Nikon F, Canon T90 and a Minolta XE1, I couldn't see any difference at all. I could just about see a difference on a Pentax MX - although I don't have an eyepiece photometer, having never heard of such a thing.

To be honest, a change of a single exposure stop is not easy to see with the naked eye, or at least, with my old ones. I tried an F/2.0 lens on the Nikon and could just perceive the difference between F/2.8 and F/2.0.

That's not the point nor the OP's question. The 8008s/801s viewfinder is an inherently bright HP style finder. That alone makes it easier to focus with MF lenses. Matte and grid screens were apparently the only Nikon-made options.

The 8008s/801s viewfinder is an inherently bright HP style finder. That alone makes it easier to focus with MF lenses.

I think there are differences, I found some AF screens better than others. Despite of its brightness, some AF ones are good, some are ugly for manual focusing. Cannot say about the F8008s.

Edited by jose_angel