Lenses for Minolta Maxxum 5xi

Discussion in 'Modern Film Cameras' started by acbeddoe, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I have a 20+ year old Minolta with the AF 35-200 f/4.5-5.6 lens. I'd like to get a faster lens for it - a prime would be fine. Are there new lenses for this mount, or should I be searching for used lenses?

2. Yes, there are new lenses for this mount, now known as Sony Alpha. But Sony did discontinue quite a few of the primes when they bought Konica/Minolta's camera business.

3. Hello Charles,
    All generations of Minolta/Maxxum AF lenses will work.Sigma,Tamron also make a wide varity of lenses that you can use as well. Check KEH camera & Ebay for some good deals on used lenses. There is also a great site for Minolta/Sony users www.dyxum.com that has ratings on lenses and various equipment for Minolta/Alpha users. Hope this helps Phil

4. John & Phil, thanks for the info.
    The 35-200 also has power zoom; this has got to be the worst lens innovation ever. Definitely a solution looking for a problem.

5. The Maxxum 50mm f1.7 is a bargain and very sharp.

6. KEH, Adorama, B&H, and eBay are full of like-new lenses -- you just have to do some on-line research to be sure what lenses go with what models.

Mounts that still work on newer cameras, of course, tend to sell for more.