Lenses:Do You Get What You Pay For?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marc_bergman|1, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Herbert Keppler attempts to answer this question in Modern Photography's September 1968 issue.

Lenses 1 sm 2

2. The Behind the Scenes column looks at the Rittreck 6x6 SLR.

BTS 1 sm 2

3. Bennett Sherman looks at lens coatings.

TT 1 sm 2

4. What's an SLR good for anyway? Keppler gives the answer.

Keppler 1 sm 2

5. Here are this month's camera equipment ads.

Ansco 1 sm 2

6. More great images, Marc. This would be another issue that photographers would hold on to for reference. I might have a copy of it somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

7. Mike - This is why I put all of these scans on my website.

8. Thanks, Marc, I finally found time to read this installment. All great stuff as usual; Kepplers' article on the SLR was an eye-opener; when I finally run out of subject matter I might just take to photographing a field mouse in the bath tub...

9. Yes in 1968. Today, no you never get what you pay for. This is because the world has ended.

10. Thanks Marc for another great post that brings memories. A great article by Keppler. Nice to see the Minolta AL-F reviewed, it was one of the first classics I got and a great little camera.

Top RF cameras were hard to find in the ads, this was SLR age, with zooms coming in. at speed.

11. Julio - While you might not see many top of the line RF cameras in the ads the used market was very busy with these RF cameras.