Lens suggestions for Peru/Bolivia

angik_sarkar

<p>I am thinking of taking the following the following combination to peru/Bolvia trip for a month<br>

Nikon D90<br>

Tokina 12-24mm<br>

35mm f1.8<br>

55-200 VR<br>

Stuff that I am leaving behind<br>

105mm MF macro<br>

18-105mm VR<br>

Apart from this I am also planning on carrying a Canon S95 as a backup camera <br>

I am planning to travel to Amazon rainforest, Macchu picchu and sacred Valley, La paz, Salar Uyuni, climbing Huyana Potosi, Colca Canyon.<br>

Have I made the right gear choices?<br>

Any other tips/suggestions would be really appreciated.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I want to take my SB-600 with me, but can find space to pack more stuff! <br>

Regarding the lenses I was wondering if I would miss a normal zoom say the 18-105mm. My reasoning was that I have that covered with the S95 anyway.<br>

I have UV filter on all the lenses, I also have a polarizer. I am taking an extra poncho for the camera.<br>

I am wondering whats the best way to store the camera in the 100% humidity of the amazon</p>

<p>How long will you be there, Angik? For short trips, say up to a couple of weeks, you shouldn't have to do anything special. I unpack my bag when I'm out of the humidity and let everything dry out on its own, and if you're coming out of air conditioning into the heat & humidity you'll need to let the camera acclimatise a bit but that's about all I've done.</p>

<p>I'd say you appear to be well covered. You don't say when you are going, but remember that the seasons in the southern hemisphere are the opposite of the northern hemisphere...for example in Peru they are coming off winter and approaching spring. In the Andes winter has a different connotation than in the US, winter is typically the rainy season (obviously snow up around 11-12,000 ft.) and on most of the glaciers (you'll see it on the mountains from the Sacred Valley). I mention this because you may need 2 seasons worth of clothes, one for the Amazon rainforest, the other for the high altitudes. Have a great trip, it is really beautiful there.</p>

<p>It will be cold at night in the altoplano region of Bolivia and the Salar. Take gloves, a cap and plan on wearing layers for early morning or late night shooting. The air is spectacularly clear at those elevations. You might want to consider some night sky shooting with a wide, fast lens. <br>

I came down with an intestinal bug in Bolivia and was as sick as I've ever been for three days. Take Cipro as well as pills for altitude sickness.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It looks to me as if you can expect around 10 (plus or minus) degrees C with a breeze (which never seems to stop on some of the high mountain areas) overnight; I would personally take something thicker than a windbreaker, something with a lining and a hood; a good wool cap, and some gloves if you plan to be out in the early morning or late evening. That's just me - I live in Virginia and perhaps that makes my blood thinner. As someone pointed out earlier you will need a different set of clothes for the Amazon region - that's going to be humid and warm.</p>

<p>Not sure if the enforcement of this existing law has increased or decreased since then, but you might want to read over this thread from last year from someone who traveled to Peru and managed to barely escape being charged a lot of money (via "deposit") for bringing in extra lenses into Peru.</p>

<p><a href="00ZB8o">http://www.photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00ZB8o</a></p>

<p>The above concern and risk is valid.<br>

Having been brought up in South America I can vouch for the wider extremes according to the altitude of where you are going. At 3000m it will drop to a frost overnight despite the time of year. On the coastal plain it will be quite warm. Layers are the way to go.<br>

I also have some concern about wandering around these two countries in which street crime is certainly prevalent. Though not as bad as some, Peru and Bolivia are certainly not free of petty theft etc. I worked with Sun in Bolivia about five years ago and the country manager was stabbed as he was getting some cash out of an ATM. And it was in the foyer of the hotel. So be vary careful in urban areas.<br>

If you can, minimize what gear you are planning to bring. A big, shiny DSLR with a couple of big fat AFS lenses will be very noticeable...perhaps even tempting fate. The S95 will be good for snaps in the cities and towns? Please also try not to carry a big, heavy backpack with all your camera gear. Its just too tempting a target which says "steal me!" Can you spread your gear around some checked-in baggage? </p>

<p>Thanks francisco for your concern. I was only planning to take a 50L backpack. The camera pack ~20L fits inside it. I may be able to spread them around.<br>

I am taking a camera pack because I am worried about the padding protection in other bags. i can certainly put away a few lenses and spread them around. In urban areas I don't intend to either use the DSLR with the 35mm during the day, with the 55-200 in my pocket or the S95 at night. <br>

Since you have experience of staying in Bolivia, how would you have arranged the gear?<br>

To counter the extremes I am planning on layering. Can't quite decide my base layer..the mid layer will be a fleece and the outer layer, a windbreaker microfiber jacket.</p>

<p>[[Oh no! I am traveling into Lima. The best I can do is leave my backup at home! Which idiot made such a law! How can one capture everything with one lens!]]</p>

<p>Well, I have no more knowledge than what that year-old thread has. You might not have to pay anything. Hopefully someone with more recent travel experience will respond here. I just happened to remember that thread.</p>

<p>In the light of all the troubles of traveling with a SLR to Peru, I was wondering if I should go just with the S95 and shoot in RAW. Image quality wise, I think it is ok for city scapes. <br>

Pros:<br>

1. 4 pounds less in my backpack<br>

2. No problems with airport officials.<br>

3. Hopefully doesn't scream 'wealthy tourist'.<br>

4. I would have no worry of losing my camera gear. The S95 is still under the 3 month credit card insurance on my credit card.<br>

5. I have a waterproof housing for it, which I can carry with the added space.<br>

6. The added space will allow me to carry another jacket which might come in handy.<br>

7. It will force me to rethink my composition.<br>

Big Cons<br>

1. Manual control..S95 has manual control but can't really control everything.<br>

2. IQ, probably can be improved in RAW. But I would have to shoot in Manual focus for sharpness.<br>

3. I would miss the zoom range in amazon and for street photography and the wide angle in Salar, Colca Canyon or other picturesque places.<br>

4. For the whole month, I would be thinking if i made the right decision in chucking my tested D90.<br>

Big dilemma: In the last 5 years that I am shooting, I ever never ever traveled anywhere without the DSLR. But then I have never taken a solo, one month trip either.</p>

<p>I have carried a big flashy DSLR and multiple lenses in a very visible bag all over the world, including some of the places you are listing here, without incidents of any kind. I once left a lens sitting on a sidewalk in Haiti, and a little kid picked it up and came running after me to return it. I don't know how many times you'll go to these places, but don't make a decision about what camera equipment to carry for the wrong reasons and miss the opportunities for once in a lifetime results. </p>

<p>As far the extra charges at customs are concerned that's very unlikely - hundreds, perhaps thousands of people go through that exercise every year without any issues. My advice is to take the basic kit we've been discussing and enjoy the results for years to come.</p>

<p>I had no problems in bringing in two camera bodies and three lenses to Peru. Nor did I ever sense any problem on the streets of Cusco and Arequipa with camera gear, although I was with another photographer and we tended to cover each other to some degree. Lima might be a difference story but we didn't spend much time there.</p>

<p>We had read some horror stories about crime in LaPaz ranging from phony policemen/police stations (shaking down tourists) to kidnapping, etc., that we traveled to the Salar de Uyuni region via Arica and San Pedro de Atacama in Chile rather than go through LaPaz. </p>

<p>There are beltpacks that would allow you to carry the camera with a lens attached (e.g. the Lowepro Outback) and that would get it out of the backpack completely. I think at the end of the day you need to decide how important the photos are that you would get from the DSLR, and whether that's worth the extra effort. Have you taken the S95 other places and been happy with the photos you get? If so, you may have your answer.</p>