Lens Rentals

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by acurlee, Feb 28, 2007.

1. I am going on a trip and want to take along a 100-400 L or the 400 5.6 L to use
    for while on vacation. Has anyone rented a lens? Is it a good idea and any
    recommendations? Thanks for your time.

2. I've rented from Calumet before and have had a positive experience. However, when I've rented it was only for the weekend and my travel was limited to a few hours in the car.

3. Lens rentals are an excelent way to use equipment you could never justify buying, and for
    100$ a week, why not?

4. I'm not sure where you are in the country but Glazers is great. http://www.glazerscamera.com/rentals.html. Maybe they can ship rental items. I don't know but it is $30 per day and 4X daily rate as a weekly rental.

I rented this lens and found image quality to be actually pretty good.

5. I've rented from Glazer's before and was very happy with the transaction. I live in NYC and thay are in Seattle so they shipped the lens to me. I've also rented from Lens & Repro in NYC and have also been happy when I've dealt with them.

6. I've heard good things from www.rentglass.com and it's cheaper than the usual brick and mortar places I've rented from (Samy's and Calumet).

7. I went on a 10-day trip to Europe and rented a lens for the trip.
    It was a great experience and I got many more shots than i would have been able to had i not rented it.
    I am going to Mexico in about a week, and am seriously considering renting again.
    I think I rented a $4-500 lens for 10 days for $85. Great deal.
    Good luck!

8. I'm just chiming in to say thanks for asking this question because I want to rent a 600mm f4 and never suspected you get lenses shipped for rental! So your question has helped me as well.

9. Hi
    I rented the 100-400mm from Calumet in Santa Ana, California for a two week trip to Alaska. I don't know where you are but Calumet has a great rental policy. A larger portion of the rental fee goes towards the purchase of the new lens.

10. I've had great experience with http:// www.rentglass.com. Of course, if you need a specific lens at a specific time, it might not be too helpful, but they are inexpensive and easy. It's a first-come basis for the rentals, so the lens you need might not be available.

11. Oh yeah, the deposit (or hold against your card rather than a charge) for renting the Canon 100-400mm is $1400. That is the local deposit here in Seattle that covers them if you run away with the lens. Probably the same hold price for non-locals. Just make sure you give them a CC# with at least $1400.

12. I've rented lenses online (mainly because most places do not require a steep deposit) and
    they're a great way to try lenses out, IMO. The 2 places I've tried are rentglass.com and
    lensprotogo.com I rented the Canon 135mm 2.0L from rentglass and it was a nice lens
    but I think the focus system on it was a bit off, so I'm hesitant to recommend them. It
    could have been just a bad copy, but I didn't want to hassle with returning it because I
    think it was the only copy they have and I really liked the 135. I then rented the Canon
    85mm 1.2L II from lensprotogo and they actually shipped the lens in a pelican case (inside
    a box) which was impressive, but then again it is an $1800 lens. That lens is so nice (but a
    bit too heavy) and pricey. In any case, I'd recommend trying lensprotogo.com Their
    customer service was very good as well. Have fun!