Lens recommendation

victoria_pavlov

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Victoria, where will the festival take place? In Russia? Then you would be better off making sure if the VR (or VC or whatever) works properly under very low temperture. You may be more successful with a lens without VR (meaning simpler mechanical design) and a tripod.</p>

<p>Victoria,</p>

<p>I have Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC but for really low light I'm not trusting it. That's why I second the advice to go for a f1.4 prime.</p>

<p>For a street event in the night on a crop camera I'll prefer something wider than 50mm. The only option available is Sigma 30mm f1.4. I do not have it but I've heard lots of praises from people who use it. For 50mm I use Sigma 50mm f1.4 and is really stellar when shooting people. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Victoria, if it is not too far, go to the site where the festival is held, at the worst possible hour for light, and get a careful reading (actually several readings) at f/4 and ISO 1600 with any of the lenses you already have.. Let us know the results. Sometimes f/2.8 is not enough. If it is an action-type festival, the VR/VC will help keep the lens still, but not the subjects. The temps should not be a problem.</p>

<p> </p>