Lens recommendation for upcoming Rome trip.

martin_glazer

<p>HI<br>

I am planning to visit Rome Italy in September for 2 weeks. I have a Nikon D90 and the Nikon 35mm f1.8g afs lens. I also have the Nikon 50mm f1.8 and a Nikon 105mm f.18 (older model), I also have the Nikon 35mm - 70 mm zoom (older model). Can some one recommend a wide zoom? I am thinking about getting the Nikon 12mm 24mm f4. I am hesitant at bring something expensive into Rome, due to the theft risk. This will be my 5th trip to Europe and 2nd into Rome. I would like to bring only 2 lenses.<br>

Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>I went to Rome on my honeymoon and brought the 12-24 F/4 Nikon and the 24-120 and had a great time shooting.I thought Rome pretty safe compared to some other places but then I don't look like the friendliest guy around either! Get the 12-24 and you won't regret it, I bought mine used for 600€ a year and a half ago.</p>

<p>You might also check into the Sigma 10-20. Fantastic lens. The 35-70 will likely be the longest lens you need or want. When I was last in Rome I used my 18-55 (I shoot Pentax) and almost always wanted something wider, not longer. Rome is tight and narrow. Even when there is a big opening such as a piazza, the scale of the architecture is often larger than you have room to frame unless you have a wide lens.</p>

<p>Bring a super-cheap small tripod that you can stuff into a backpack. You can't use one in churches, but outdoors you can get shots when the light gets low. </p>

<p>The lens I use most on a DX body for travel is a Nikon 16-85 VR. For Rome I would also take a fast prime like the 35mm you have. I like to take a pocket tripod for use in churches and on bridge rails for low shutter speed shots. I usually take a regular tripod for use in early morning when the streets are empty. If you need the wide zoom, the 12-20mm would be a great lens. Joe Smith </p>