Lens purchases

ray .

Sherry Krauter is a good egg but after two emails she's only answered my question about the condition a lens she has for sale, saying "it's in good shape, you won't be disappointed." Has anyone purchased something from her store and what was your satisfaction factor?

On another front elsewhere, there's a nice 35 Summaron available, a lens I used to have. Though I have a 4th version Summicron, the lens I've used most ever, I'm thinking about getting the Summaron again too. Silly or what? My technical photo skills were less when I had the Summaron, so I don't have a completely reasonable basis for comparison. I'm sure in general the Summicron is better, with the Summaron being a little softer in sharpness and contrast.

I've never had any direct dealings with her, but she gets very mixed reviews from those that have.

In reviewing her website just now, descriptions are less than vague, these's only one picture (few of those are clearly in focus), and there's no clearly stated return policy.

I'd stay clear unless she offers a reasonable return policy providing for, at minimum, a short inspection period.

My assumption is that those few competitively priced items are - shall we say - "beaters".

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Sherry can be a little brusque, but has provided good servicing to me on the two items I've sent her for repair. IMHO, having owned a Summaron/2.8 for almost 30 years, a 35 Summicron Asph for 2 years, and a 35 Summilux for a couple of months, I'd ask whether you are talking about the Summaron 3.5 or 2.8. The 2.8 is a much better lens and usually also costs quite a bit more. It does render in the Leica fashion a dreamy look until about f/4, and at f/8 the corners still aren't quite as sharp as the central area...which always worked fine for me. The Summilux was too heavy for me and IMHO too costly to routinely carry around. The Summicron Asph was a great lens, but clinically sharp....too sharp for my taste in some situations....but a magnificent lens with a modern rendition.

Sherry Krauter CLA'd my IIIg and completely rebuilt and updated my early Leica CL with later production parts. The CL meter system was rebuilt, calibrated and has given accurate service for the past 15 years and I've owned it for 40. About 15 years ago I purchased an early, reconditioned f2.8 35 Summaron R from Sherry and it is my 2nd favorite Leicaflex lens. I also own an LTM f3.5 35 Summaron LTM from 1952 in perfect shape. SCL's comparisons of the two lens images is accurate. However my images of fall foliage using the LTM Summaron with a hood are among my favorites. The 2.8 Summaron stopped down will give you a very accurate color, nice contrast, great center and acceptable, if not ultra crisp corner image. It is much less vulnerable to flare than the LTM earlier version. I've now acquired a 2.8 35 Summaron M and look forward to using it on a regular basis after it goes through a CLA. If my R lens is any indication, if Sherry says it is in good shape, it means she has checked it out and done whatever work needed. My purchase was as described, not mint but a well cared for user.

The Summaron is an f/3.5, the one I had before. I know my 35 Summicron overall is the superior lens, so I'll probably pass on the Summaron. It's just tempting because of nostalgic reasons, it looks really clean, and I'd kind of l like to see how it combines with my M240.

Sherry's item is a 90mm lens. I emailed her again since her website states she rates items on a 1-10 scale, and accepts returns. See if she can come back with a rating for me. I know she's really busy, as is Don. They've both told me (Don a month or so ago) that they're not accepting new repairs until they catch up to their work load.

Btw must be about 10 years ago I called Sherry to inquire about a Minolta CL. Almost bought it but didn't. Sherry was very talkative and we chatted for about an hour about cameras, photography and film.

Edited by ray .

Sherry is slow, I'm sure she's super busy… Just bought instead of the Rokkor a 90 Elmar-C from a private seller $235, free shipping, 14 day return. Description of condition was very clear. No knock on Photo Village but they have the same lens listed at $550 in possibly lesser condition.
  • Like 1