Tony Parsons

Having looked at a selection of Neoprene lens pouches on various sites, I wondered if there were a less-expensive alternative - and I've found on that works for me. YMMV.

At our local L*dls recently, I found containers designed for parents to attach to the pushbars of perambulators and baby buggies, to hold bottles of drink for the occupant. They were 75p each, or three for £2, and seemed a distinct possibility.

My assessment was correct - they fit neatly over my 70-300 in one, 28-105 and 50mm in another, and my 18-35 and 105 macro in the third. They are padded and insulated, so hopefully will go some way to avoiding the problem of condensation on the lenses as well.

• Like 2

Having looked at a selection of Neoprene lens pouches on various sites, I wondered if there were a less-expensive alternative - and I've found on that works for me. YMMV.

At our local L*dls recently, I found containers designed for parents to attach to the pushbars of perambulators and baby buggies, to hold bottles of drink for the occupant. They were 75p each, or three for £2, and seemed a distinct possibility.

My assessment was correct - they fit neatly over my 70-300 in one, 28-105 and 50mm in another, and my 18-35 and 105 macro in the third. They are padded and insulated, so hopefully will go some way to avoiding the problem of condensation on the lenses as well.

Be interested in seeing a photo - others might as well.

• Like 2

I ordered something off eBay and got a neoprene pouch as a 'free gift'. It turned out to be just the right size to take a YN560iii speedlight. So I think 75p is probably about the right going rate for these things. Pay any more and you're being ripped off.

For lens storage I prefer Sigma's cuboid fabric & foam cases. Prices vary between £2 and £5 at camera fairs or in rummage bins.

Nice cases Sigma, shame about your lenses! To be fair, I haven't bought any Sigma Art series lenses, having been put off the brand by previous dogs of lenses and their rubbery finish turning to sticky goo. 'Once bitten, twice shy' as the saying goes.

I saw one of those in a local charity shop over the weekend, and considered it as a lens pouch.

The zip seemed rather stiff so I didn't get it. As I put it back on the shelf I saw the price tag, they were asking £2 just for one.

Some charity shops do tend to over-price things, I agree - then again, bargains are to be had for the assiduous seeker. Often the staff are 'clued-up' on unimportant things like fashion, but have no idea of the rarity value of some books or vinyl records.

• 2 weeks later...