Lens hoods on a TLR

sprouty

Having recently purchased my first TLR (a very nice Yashica 24) I am

curious as to how common it is for MF cameras of this type to use a

lens hood. Because I gotta tell ya, after the first few rolls I'm

convinced that this lens has more flare than a gay sailor.

I have an old Rollei MX-EVS, and I usually get better results using a lens hood. I'd love to have a metal Rollei square hood, but when I was looking they were a little pricy. I found a Heliopan rubber Bay 1 hood new at B&H for around $30 or so, probably costs more now. Still not cheap, but worth it. Enjoy the Yashica 24!

I'm sure it's very common for those who understand the purpose of a lens hood to use one to use one to minimize the problems you are having with this camera. However, a lens hood will <i>not</i> have any effect on your problems with metaphor.

The front lens element on most TLR's like Yashicas and Rolleis have very little sidelight

protection at all, so a lens hood is a must unless you are shooting with the sun at your back.

it never hurts to have a lenshood.

i recently picked up a lenshood off ebay for my yashica mat124. flare is especially bad with the 124... took me a few rolls to figure that out. now i pretty much leave the hood on all the time.

Another solution is to get a Bay 1 to screw thread adapter and use "regular" lens hoods and other screw-in accessories. I have a Bay 1 to 46mm adapter for my Yashicamat. They're not as cheap as normal stepping rings, but once you've got one, you save a packet on the other accessories.