Lens hoods for Canon 50mm's?

railphotog

<p>Been a long time Canon user, sold off all of my FD and EOS film equipment a long time ago, now all digital. Recently acquired a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens for nostalgia sakes. Just won an A-1 on eBay, it comes with a 50mm f/1.4 lens. Can someone please supply me with the correct lens hood numbers for these 50mm lenses? And where I might find them? I see some on eBay but don't know what I need.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bob, hi. Early A-1s and AE-1s were supplied with pre-1979 'breechlock' lenses, with a white alloy retaining ring. Later cameras were supplied with the so-called 'FDn' lenses with a bayonet-like fitting. </p>

<p>This is relevant to you, because if you have breechlock lenses, they have a 55mm filter diameter, and will take the BS-55 lens hood, which is easy to find. If you have FDn lenses, they take 52mm attachments and you need the BS-52 hood, which is a little scarce.</p>

<p>The FD Review http://www.fdreview.com/ has a list of many, if not all Canon FD lenses and includes the model number of the proper hood for each lens.</p>

<p>As mentioned above, breechlock and later FDn lenses take different sized hoods. With a bit of patience you should be able to obtain the correct hoods from the big auction site. Good luck and good hunting.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies! Looks like my AE-1's 50mm is an FDn, and takes the BS-52 hood. From the eBay photo I can see the 50mm f/1.4 is a breech lock with SSC, so it takes a BS-55 hood! When I receive the A-1 kit, I'll verify and start looking.</p>

<p>I wanted genuine Canon hoods, and not the generic rubber ones because I had the original ones on my equipment way back when. Not even sure if I'll even use the two film cameras, just want them for old times' sake. Might try a roll or two and have a CD made from the images, one way to modernise the procedure.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I see nothing sacrosanct in needing the Canon-branded shade. Although this forum will give you ways to fix the dreaded Canon "drop and roll away" feature, there are alternatives. <a href="http://www.dougnelsonphoto.com/-/dougnelsonphoto/detail.asp?photoID=1302189">http://www.dougnelsonphoto.com/-/dougnelsonphoto/detail.asp?photoID=1302189</a> shows a Konica 35-50 shade on a 35mm lens (would be fine on a 50mm). It clamps onto a filter or empty filter ring. It'd also clamp to a 52-55 step-up ring. It's a well-made shade with black felt-like anti-reflective material. It's a bit harder to find than the 28-24 Konica shade.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>One challenge with the beautiful old original shades is the silicon rubber mini-knobs that grasp the lens grooves. They shrink over time, even if not used, so the shade falls off and you gnash your teeth. I don't think there's a fix, but I've tried and there have been plenty of suggestions.</p>