Lens hood question

jerry_m

<p>Does any one know the size difference between the following lens hoods ?<br>

HB 1<br>

HB 18<br>

HB 27<br>

I know the HB 18 was made for the 28-105 d AF Nikkor, but would either of the others work as well ?<br>

Thanks for any answers----Jerry</p>

<p>I had a 28-105/3.5 AF d years ago. Loved the lens, but hated the HB-48 hood.<br>

All the hoods mentioned are for 62mm size. I don't know what the HB+1 and HB-27 look like, but the 27 is for the 28-100/3.5 whereas the 1 is for the 35-70/2.8. So I would assume that the HB-27 would be a better choice for a 28-105/3.5 AF d.</p>

<p>If you get hold of a copy of B&H's wonderful catalog (can you believe? some people actually complain about this -> looking gift horse in mouth), the current list of Nikon lenses indicates what lens hoods come with what lenses. It's in a nice, easy-to-read table.<br /> Nikon also has a 7.5 MB pdf on the subject: imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/pdf/nikkor_lenses.pdf which in the specs for each lens, lists the hood THAT THEY SUPPLY WITH THE LENS (are you watching, Canon cheeseparers?).<br /> As for interchangeability, that's more difficult, especially for zoom lenses. All the more so, since not showing up in the viewfinder doesn't mean it won't show up in the image, since so many cameras still aren't at 100% viewfinders. :(</p>

<p>Get off my lawn, you slackers!</p>

<p>Although clone hoods are available for Nikon lenses too, the failure of Canon to provide hoods except for their most expensive lenses has spawned a vast production of clone hoods for Canon lenses. Most of these are available post-paid for tiny fractions of what Canon charges for the real thing.<br>

I'm not sure if they are quite as robust as the originals, but even if they aren't, you could get quite a few of them for the price of the original. I have had one clone hood on a 75-300mm lens crack a little, but I am still using it to destruction--for the last two years, even though its replacement sits in a drawer.</p>

<p>As I meant to suggest earlier, once you know the original product code for Nikon hoods, clone/replacements are usually easy to find on eBay or even as cheap alternatives from such as Adorama and B&H. If you do that, it's cheap enough that you don't need to worry about what OTHER hoods might or might not work.</p>