Lens Hood for OM-Zuiko 50mm f/1.2

samuel_lipoff

<p>Is there a preferred metal lens hood for the OM-Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 lens? I haven't used a hood on this lens before, but I was doing some night shooting recently and got lots of flare from streetlights just outside the frame, and would also like to have a hood on for protection.</p>

<p>I gather the original hood was a slip-on type with a set screw. Is it the same as the 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 hood? Alternatively, does anyone have experience with a generic metal screw-on hood for 49mm filter threads?</p>

<p>Hello Samuel,</p>

<p>I have been using the Zuiko 50 1.2 for many years now. I believe Olympus made a dedicated hood for the lens, but they are difficult to come by. I have always used a Hoya 49mm rubber hood on my example, and it has been fine. Even when I use the lens wide open, there is no vignetting. As the hood is made of soft rubber, it collapses backwards over the lens barrel for easy storage in the ever ready case - this means I don't have to unscrew it when not in use!</p>

<p>Regards, Steve.</p>

<p>I can't comment on the 50/1.2 other than that I am jealous, but for my 50/1.4 I also use a Hoya 49mm rubber collapable hood with no vignetting. I use the same hood on my Tamron 28mm f/2.5 without vignetting, on my Zuiko 35/2.8, 50/1.8, the 50/1.4 of course and 85/2 with no problems. On the 50/1.4 and others (I haven't tried with the 85/2) if I also attach a 49mm polarizer I get some hard vignetting I guess because the polarizer pushes the hood out too far.<br>

So at least with that hood it is either or for hood or polarizer to be mounted.</p>

<p>Just to clarify...YES Olympus did make a dedicated hood for the 50/1.2...I sold about 10 of them on ebay about 6 years ago when ebay was still worth using. I would guess they are like gold dust now though. I found them on a German dealer website...you could do worldwide google search and try direct via dealer websites. Japanese dealer sites have many items rare in the rest of the world.</p>

<p>There was a dedicated olympus 50/1.2 rubber hood, which is not too easy to come by. There's also an even better all-metal hood that does use a clamp-on setscrew. I have a few for sale. It was marked for the 35/2.8 - 50/1.8 and 50/1.4, but it's a beautiful hood and works great with the 50/1.2. Also better looking than the 50/1.2 rubber hood.</p>

<p>-Ed</p>

<p>I use the 50mm f/1.2 Olympus metal shade with my Canon 50mm f/1.2 RF lens on my Leica M-3.</p>

<p>The Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 vented shade sells for $200 so I use the 'cheaper' Olympus shade with it. Both 50mm f/1.2 lenses use 55mm filters.</p>

<p>Certainly my 50/1.2 has 49mm diameter filter threads, and to the best of my knowledge there was only one version of this lens. However, I believe the hood is a slip-on type, and I wasn't sure if the same hood for the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 would work with the 50/1.2 as well. They may all have 49mm diameter filter threads, but for the slip-on type hood it's the outside diameter and shape that's important. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses!</p>

<p>The usual Olympus hood marked as 35mm/F2.8, 50mm/F1.4, 50mm/F1.8 works perfectly fine for the 50/1.2 lens, but indeed a special rubber hood (US cat. # 108-233, no metal version was produced) was produced which allowed reverse mounting on the lens. Both hoods are of 51mm slide-on type.<br>

The old 55/1.2 lens required a 57mm slide-on hood which was only available in metal.<br>

I would not recommend a hood, as Matthew Newton uses, which does not vignet with a 28mm lens because it means that it is not very effective for a 50mm lens.</p>

<p>Although reversing a hood is very convenient, I like the idea of a metal lens hood for a little extra protection (given that I don't use filters). I just purchased the metal hood for the 35/2.8, 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 and indeed it works perfectly with the 50/1.2. Even with the hood, the lens is still quite small. This is my first slide-on lens hood, and I really like it. The set screw articulates a thin metal ring that puts even pressure around the lens barrel --- very nice design. The only difficulty is that my 49mm Olympus lens cap no longer works! Fortunately, and quite by accident, a generic 62mm lens cap that I happened to have laying around fits over the top of the hood perfectly. </p><div>00Wk36-254359584.jpg.3c02b3574c56e42327390d6f119c6f0c.jpg</div>