Lens hood cap for 35mm Summicron 4th version?

len_smith

My 35mm Summicron 4th version is fitted with the rectangular 12524

hood. I have the circular vented hood for the Summicron, which takes

a circular cap, but prefer the more precise shading of the rectangular

hood. Can anyone tell me if there is a rectangular cap available for

this hood?

The rectangular cap on the hood for my 24mm Elmarit ASPH works well. I

am also aware that a rectangular cap is available to fit the hood of

the 35mm Summicron ASPH. So is there a similar cap for the pre-ASPH

12524 hood?

I have asked this question of two Leica dealers without success. So

can anyone here help? A catalog number would be very useful indeed.

Tony

Look here:

http://www.popflash.com/item.cfm?id=%23%24NBO%0A

I know the hood and shade for the 4th and asph version Summicrons look identical, but the 4th version shade is marginally smaller and the later hood-cap fits, but loosely. You may want to replace the hood as well so everything fits snugly.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Thank you all for your extremely helpful replies. I will purchase the new 12526 hood/cap plus a spare cap, and sell both my 12524 hoods.

The cheapest price I have found for the 12526 hood and cap is $69.95 from Adorama. Unless I can find a cheaper price, that is where I will buy it from.

Thanks again.

Tony

Just for the record, the rectangular pre-asph hood and the asph hood are identical except for

the shape of the two little nubs on the front of the hood. On the pre-asph the nubs are

meant to aid in mounting and unmounting the hood. On the asph the nubs are larger and

have a sharp edge to hold on to the hood cap.

You can use the hood cap from the asph on the pre-asph hood but it will not be as secure. I

know because I did just that and eventually lost the hood cap. So it is best to buy a new asph

hood which will come with the hood cap as well.

Should that not be the 12526? <br><p>

In any case, I faced the same problem a few years ago. Then I discovered that in many overseas markets, these

35 Summicron hood+cap sets are less expensive than in NYC. <br><p>

Here is a <a href=http://www.ac-foto.com/ac/shop/shop.php?new_sprache=eng&step=&hersteller=Leica&kategorie1=&kategorie2=&Rechtsbelehrung=>source from Germany</a> that lists them at 20 Euro less than half that Adorama price.

<br><p>

http://snipurl.com/o0jv

<br><p>

If the link above does not work the shop is www.ac-foto.com. Click on shop.

Thanks again guys. I ordered two caps from my friendly local Leica dealer today. The price is GBP 11.00 each, which is very close to $20. As the price includes 17.5% VAT (sales tax) I think I got a bargain. <g> Why two? Because it is certain I will lose one!

I will see how they fit my 12524 hoods, both of which have surprisingly substantial side lugs. If the caps are loose, I will enlarge the lugs with sheet styrene until I get the caps to fit properly. Neither of the hoods could be described as "mint", not by a long way, so there is no danger of losing residual value.

I am very happy with this solution to my problem. Many thanks to all who contributed!

Tony