Lens Has Stopped Focusing

I have a Tamron 75-300 lens that will not auto focus anymore. When I try to Auto focus on a subject, the lens just

keeps searching, but never finds focus. I cant seem to manually focus it either. My other lenses which are Canons,

are working fine, on my Camera, which is a Rebel xt. Is this a compatability problem with my Canon, or is it just

the lens itself? I believe I have lost the receipt, so I dont think I will be taking it back. I have only had this lens for a

couple of months. Before the lens stoped focusing, I did get a couple of error 99s. Does anybody have any

suggestions or advice, before I give up on it? Thanks in advance.

"...what is the best way to clean the contacts?"

I tend to use a lint-free PEC-pad and some high-purity Ethanol (basically the same gear as wet sensor cleaning). That's probably a bit conservative. I've cleaned many non-camera electronic contacts with a clean, soft pencil eraser. I'm a bit hesitant to try than around the optics and fine mechanism of my lens/camera for fear of getting crumbs into the mechanism (but I think others recommend it).

Hopefully someone with more experience cleaning lens/camera contacts can give mroe specific advice.

Its not as serious as Geoff makes it sound, just take an eraser to the little metal contacts on both the camera and the lens. Be careful with where the rubber droppings go as you "erase".

I used to get that same error on the same lens and body and often had tons of trouble focusing. Clean her up a bit. I'll follow the thread, if you still have trouble just post back here.

Matt