lens from other camera

maria

<p>Hi,<br>

already two friends advised me to buy a Canon EOS - good price/performance relationship.<br>

However, I also heard that you can use the lenses from your manual camera with digital cameras, and I had before a Zenit/Praktika (they use same lenses). Are there adapters for Canon?<br>

thank you<br>

Maria</p>

<p>Your Praktica and Zenit both use what are technically called M42x1 screwmount. Google or eBay search for M42 to EOS and you will find many variants, and most of them will be quite inexpensive (say US$10 or so). There's really no evidence that a few that are hyper expensive are really better, except that some of them are easier to dismount than others. At these prices, many of us just buy an adapter for every lens we regularly use on our Canons.</p>

<p>However, you are aware that the lenses will be not only manual focus, but also manual stop-down for the aperture. You must meter with them with the lenses already stopped down, but of course you should focus with the lens set wide open. This is inconvenient enough that it really does not make sense to make a legacy lens your main lens on a Canon.</p>

<p>Some later M42 automatic (aperture) lenses have no M(anual) switch to turn off the lens being wide open except when the picture is taken. For these, you can get M42>EOS adapters that have an 'flange' on them that depresses the pin on the lens to make it a manual aperture lens.</p>

<p>Nikon lenses, Contax/Yashica lenses, and Exakta lenses, to mention only the biggies, are all adaptable to Canon EOS for manual use. Bob Atkins (our own) has a nice article on which lenses can be adapted to Canon EOS (<a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html">link</a>)</p>

<p>You can also buy a T-mount for EOS that will let you use all those old pre-set telephotos, etc.</p>