Lens for copying artwork

jeff_ford

<p>Need a very low distortion lens for copying artwork. Originals are generally A4 or A3, some smaller, some bigger.<br>

Currently using a 100mm macro Sigma and the distortion is becoming very tiresome<br>

Can anyone recommend an 85(ish) lens that will return square and true results?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>I purchased a Sigma 105mm f2.8 D Macro lens several years ago in order to photograph flat art with my Nikon F4 and the lens performed flawlessly, without any distortion. Are you sure you are perfectly centered, and perpendicular to the art work? It takes some time to set things up properly. I had the wall marked out, 45 degree lighting angles lines taped to the floor and a 20' perpendicular tape line from the wall for the position of my studio stand. I used to have a corner of my studio permanently set up to shoot flat art otherwise each assignment becomes very labor intensive. I also used sheets of Polaroid material over my strobes and lens to eliminate reflections especially from thick brush strokes.</p>

<p>Focal length shouldn't really matter for flat artwork. How about an old MF 55mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor. Dirt cheap, pin sharp and negligible distortion. Also computed for optimum performance at 10:1, which is almost ideal for A4 to 35mm.</p>

<p>Most modern "macro" lens designs utilise front-group or internal focusing - not a good idea for low distortion at all focus settings.</p>

<p>I'd use either the 55/2.8 macro, 50/2 or 60/2.8 AFS. All have worked well for me. I used the 50/2 until I could afford the 55/2.8 macro years ago. Now I use the 60/2.8 or the 55/2.8 with 60 being a bit quicker and easier and the 55/2.8 a little sharper at 1:2 and closer.</p>

• 4 months later...