Lens for Baby Photography

dwo_law

<p>I'm looking to buy a new lens or two for some baby photography I'm planning on shooting soon - with natural

light only. I'd also like to use these lenses for a Colorado vacation in a week and some indoor/outdoor sports

photography. After reading tons of reviews, I've been bouncing back and forth with a lot of these, and would

appreciate any input! (I'd like to stay under $1000)</p>

<ol>

<li>Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8</li>

<li>Tamron 24-75mm f/2.8</li>

<li>Canon 85mm f/1.8</li>

<li>Canon 70-200 f/4L</li>

</ol>

<p>1&2. Is the 17-50mm worth the extra cash over the 24-75?<br>

3. Can I get away with using my 50mm f/1.8 over the 85mm f/1.8? If so, I can spend the cash on the other lens.<br>

4. I wonder if there's any use for the 70-200 L lens at all in baby photography, since the focal length may be

too large and aperture too small for indoors. How's the Bokeh on this? Mainly, I'd like this for my Colorodo

vacation.</p>

<p>Right now, I have an XTi w/kit lens and 50mm f/1.8.</p>

<p>Thanks!!!</p>

-- "Tamron 24-75mm f/2.8"

No such lens. Its a 28-75/2.8

1+2 are both excellent lenses. 1 can only be used on crop bodies, 2 can be used of FF as well.

If this shall be a good alround lens, #1 is a good choice. If it shall be your portrait lens, #2 seems the better

choice.

3 is an excellent portrait lens. This and the 50/1.8 is all you really need for portraits.

4 has a good reputation as a general purpose tele lens, but not exactly for portrait. I have no personal

experience with it.

I'm no pro, but I have a 4 month old that I've been taking many pictures of. The 50/1.8 is great for portraits. I use an external flash most of the times though.

When you say "available light", how much light is there? Are you talking indoors? Even with the 50/1.8, I still have to set the ISO pretty high... 800 or 1600 when I'm indoors. That is why I use a flash. I can set ISO to 100, shutter speed to 250 and get nice sharp pictures.

I also use a Tokina 28-70/2.8, but only with a flash.

I use a 50mm f/1.4 for most of my baby photography (on a film body)...I'd think with a crop body that it would be a bit better even. Try out your 50/1.8, I think you will find it is a fine portrait lens on your crop body. I also use a 28/1.8 and a 28/2.5 for a lot of baby pictures. Sometimes it is really nice to get up close and do some pictures...always cute having the baby reaching for the camera in the picture...and you get a lot more smiles when you are 2ft away instead of 8ft if you are using an 85mm lens. I have a (as of tomorrow) 5 month old.

So when it comes down to it I would focus on finding a lens for your sports/colorado vacation rather then potrait photography...I think your 50/1.8 is going to be about the best lens for that.

For Colorado personally I would want to go really wife, not long. A long lens has its uses to isolate things from a scene and for birds/wildlife...but when you are talking moutains my mind goes to 24mm and wider (full frame, 15mm and wider on your xti).