and can't decide which lenses to pair with my 30D. I definitly need a zoom,

something like a 70-300 paired with something wider. My problem is that I

don't have the money for L series lenses, and I know nothing about how lenses

act on digital SLRs. I am experienced with 35mm SLRs, (EOS A2 and a couple of

old manual SLRs).

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I'd like to spend about a

thousand dollars on lenses.

Thanks!

My guess is you are talking $US. I am not sure of what rebates are current, therefore my suggestions might be over your $ limit, but still worth considering.

70 to 200 F2.8L

70 to 200 F2.8L IS if you intend to shoot at slower shutter speeds to give panning blur to emmulate `speed`, or if you consider IS valuable in other aspects of your photography.

70 to 200 F4.0L IS if you do not need the F2.8 aperture speed.

I would not consider the 70 to 200 F4.0L because for the few extra dollars the IS version would be better value for money IMO.

Regards WW

>> I'd like to spend about a thousand dollars on lenses.

The 70-200/2.8 L fits in with a slight squeeze but I strongly urge you to try and find a used 70-200/2.8 IS L and find a means to finance it. IS will be very beneficial at some occasions e.g. panning, 200mm@1/125 etc.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

It would be handy to know what lenses you already have. For sports on a budget I would start with a Canon EF 200mm f2.8 L. Depending on what lenses you have I would then recommend either a Canon EF 1.4x or a Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L. I only suggest the 17-40 if you are into those cool super close super wide skateboard shots. I would never have the nerve to get that close!

The problem with most OUTDOOR sports and the really expensive 70-200mm lenses is that for the most part the lens is usually set at 200mm, so why pay the huge bucks for the rest of the range. Also why pay about $600 USD for IS when again most sports shots do not even need it.

Again depending on what other lenses you already have, and how close you usually get for your sports action shots, the Canon EF 300mm f4 L may also be a good solution. The 200/2.8 with 1.4x gives you a bit more flexibility though. Good luck.

Thanks for all of your responses. I placed my order, and went ahead with the 70-200 2.8 IS. I'm exited to start shooting with it. I think I'll probably get the 17-40 2.8 as well. So much for staying within my budget!

As I mentioned, I'm new to the digital side of photography. I have Photoshop of course, but what other accessories would you suggest for the digital side of things?

Thanks Again!

Dylan

First post here:)

Mark, that's an excellent looking pic. I'm wanting an action lens for my 30D as well and am going to go for the Canon 100-400mm IS as I want the extra reach because of being quite far from the action most of the time. Hopefully it has a decent AF speed to keep up with the likes of F1 and motogp.

I thought about the 70-200 IS with a teleconverter but would prefer the higher quality of the 100-400 w/out it.

Billy

Well I should be receiving my 30D today! I'm also looking for a wide angle lens that would work for both Real Estate and Skateboarding photography. I'd like to spend less than $500 if possible. Any suggestions? I'll have the 70-200 F2.8 IS USM, and the 17-40 F4.

Thanks again for all of your help.