Lens Flocking -- What Can I Use?

jimvanson

<p>My 10-22mm lens hood fell off it's lens into a puddle full of muddy water. I guess I can be thankful that it wasn't hood & lens BUT I still have to complain that Canon hoods are overpriced & under engineered.<br>

Anyhow...even though I washed the hood off when I got home it still left me with a hood with it's little remaining flocking discolored.<br>

And so after my whinning comes my question: What can I use to reflock my lens hood? I googled the question but couldn't find a clear answer.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>A while ago, I bought one of those cheap chinese remakes of lenshoods. It fitted the lens, but it had no flocking at all. I used a thin piece of black felt and glued it into the hood. It was not bad, but still more reflective that Canons original flocking ... so I worked on it with a fine sandpaper. After that It was working ok.</p>

<p>If you want to cut the felt with the help of a paper mask ... you could use this one ...<br /> http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM.php</p>

<p>A lenshood helps a lens in two ways ... it helps to prevent flase, and it protects the lens. The 10-22 is quite flare resistant even without hood ... and lens protection is not reduced with your hood ... so, you might just leave it as is.</p>

<p>At most hobby stores you can buy a lacquer-like material and the loose flocking to apply to it while it is still wet. When it dries you'll have a very nicely flocked hood. Applying the loose flock takes a little practice, so try it on some piece of scrap first.</p>

<p>I don't have the 10-22 hood so I don't know how it was done originally. Edmund Scientific sells flocked paper, in both plain and adhesive-backed forms, that is about as near to a perfectly nonreflective surface as I've seen (or I guess in this case, not seen). If you can work with something like that as opposed to a brush-and-sprinkle system, I think it will give good results. Here's the link: <a href="http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3060068&bhcd2=1240523697">http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3060068&bhcd2=1240523697</a></p>

<p>The older Canon hoods use flat black paint as flocking. The newer ones have black rayon cloth glued to the inside of the hood. I imagine the cloth flocking is a little better at absorbing light than even flat black paint. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Consider your self lucky, my lens hood is still sitting at the bottom of Antartica when I fell off when I was taking pictures on the top plat form of the boat when my lens hood hit the railing and fell into water. I did not want to say anything because someone might of thought I was trying to pollute the water, but was canon poor construction that leads to the lens hoods failing off when your least expect it.</p>