Lens Flocking -- What Can I Use?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by jimvanson, Apr 23, 2009.

1. My 10-22mm lens hood fell off it's lens into a puddle full of muddy water. I guess I can be thankful that it wasn't hood & lens BUT I still have to complain that Canon hoods are overpriced & under engineered.
    Anyhow...even though I washed the hood off when I got home it still left me with a hood with it's little remaining flocking discolored.
    And so after my whinning comes my question: What can I use to reflock my lens hood? I googled the question but couldn't find a clear answer.
    Thanks in advance.

2. A while ago, I bought one of those cheap chinese remakes of lenshoods. It fitted the lens, but it had no flocking at all. I used a thin piece of black felt and glued it into the hood. It was not bad, but still more reflective that Canons original flocking ... so I worked on it with a fine sandpaper. After that It was working ok.
    If you want to cut the felt with the help of a paper mask ... you could use this one ...
    http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM.php
    A lenshood helps a lens in two ways ... it helps to prevent flase, and it protects the lens. The 10-22 is quite flare resistant even without hood ... and lens protection is not reduced with your hood ... so, you might just leave it as is.

3. At most hobby stores you can buy a lacquer-like material and the loose flocking to apply to it while it is still wet. When it dries you'll have a very nicely flocked hood. Applying the loose flock takes a little practice, so try it on some piece of scrap first.

4. Around "my neck of the woods", you can find flocking kits at craft stores (Michaels, A.C. Moore, Jo-Anns etc.).

5. I don't have the 10-22 hood so I don't know how it was done originally. Edmund Scientific sells flocked paper, in both plain and adhesive-backed forms, that is about as near to a perfectly nonreflective surface as I've seen (or I guess in this case, not seen). If you can work with something like that as opposed to a brush-and-sprinkle system, I think it will give good results. Here's the link: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3060068&bhcd2=1240523697

6. The older Canon hoods use flat black paint as flocking. The newer ones have black rayon cloth glued to the inside of the hood. I imagine the cloth flocking is a little better at absorbing light than even flat black paint.

7. Consider your self lucky, my lens hood is still sitting at the bottom of Antartica when I fell off when I was taking pictures on the top plat form of the boat when my lens hood hit the railing and fell into water. I did not want to say anything because someone might of thought I was trying to pollute the water, but was canon poor construction that leads to the lens hoods failing off when your least expect it.

8. One way is simply to magic marker the area. Works very nice. Or go to an art/craft store and get a piece of thin felt that you can trim to size and contact cement in place.