Lens compatibility?

keith_anderson7

<p>I keep seeing that some EP1/2 lenses and G1/GF1 lenses are cross compatible. That said, I hear mixed info on their autofocus compatibility across platforms. Anyone have a difinitive answer as to which Oly lenses I could use on my new GF1 (it's arriving by mail in the next few days)?</p>

<p>There are a few cases where I prefer Oly's lenses and want to know which I can use, or how to determine for myself if I can use them on the GF1. </p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>There is an Official link from Panasonic for this.</p>

<p><a href="http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html">http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html</a></p>

<p>In short, there are multiple levels of compatibilities. For the continuous auto focus function, no current Olympus lens micro 4/3 or 4/3 support it. For Single shot (camera focus once when you press shutter release once) auto focus, all Olympus micro 4/3 and the newer 4/3 lens supports it. With newer 4/3 lens, chance are you will need to up-grade the latest firmware in-order to AF. These 4/3 group lens are:</p>

<p>The two new kits zoom 14-42/3.5-5.6. and 40-150/4-5.6<br />The newer 4/3 release 25/2.8 pancake, 14-54/2.8-3.5, 70-300/4-5.6, 9-18/4-5.6.</p>

<p>Everything else, you are stuck with manual focus. BTW: you will need a (Oly or Panasonic) 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter to use 4/3 lens. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you're referring to <strong>Micro-FourThirds lenses</strong>, all of them are 100% compatible across <strong>all</strong> Olympus and Panasonic Micro-FourThirds cameras. Panasonic bodies and with Panasonic lenses provide faster AF, to a degree, but all work fine. </p>

<p>If you're referring to <strong>FourThirds SLR</strong> lenses, they <strong>all</strong> AF on Olympus Micro-FourThirds bodies and <em>some</em> do/some don't on Panasonic bodies. That's what the link Tommy provided above describes in detail. </p>