Lens compatibility with Nikon D90

nauman_azhar

<p>Hi...<br>

I am currently using a D90 with 18-105, 70-300 f4.5-5.6 & a nikkor 35mm f1.8. I am too much into the wild life photography & i didnt find the 70-300 working good enough for close up shots. I intent to buy a super telephoto lens. Price budget is around 2500$. My question is that will nikkor telephoto lens like 500mm or 600mm or 200-400mm work fine on D90 or i will have to buy some mounting units in order to make them work on it....<br>

Also what nikkor lenses are compatible with D90.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Any Nikon AF lens functions on the D90 and Auto-focuses, with the exception of the very rare lenses for the F3AF (I doubt you'll find these anywhere... they are VERY rare). They need to be "D" lenses to use all metering functions. ALL current Nikon (and third party) AF lenses are fully supported on the D90. You need no adaptors. Some 3rd party lenses have occasional issues but most are just perfect.</p>

<p>If it is manual focus, it will mount, but you will have no metering. Don't buy a manual focus lens for wildlife.</p>

<p>Another option within budget could be the AF-S 300 f/4 with a TC14, for a 420mm f/5.6 lens. Would autofocus, though not extremely fast, and optically certainly a nice combination. The "naked" 300 f/4 is a very good lens in its own right too.<br>

I used this lens on a D80, which has the same AF as the D90, with the TC17 (500mm f/6.7); AF is extremely slow and erratic, and manual focus quite hard. I cannot really recommend this combination.</p>