Lens Collection Displays and/or Travel Cases

fromage

Hi all, after a 20-year hiatus from shooting on film, I started playing around with an X700 (then XE7 and looking for an XD11). I have been collecting a nice assortment of prime Minolta lenses, and it's gotten to the point where I now need a storage and/or case for them all.

What do you guys do for storing of lenses, or even transport? Any custom cases or displays out there? I'm looking for a nice case with maybe foam for cutouts, but everything seems to be tailored to modern (large) digital lenses.

Anyone want to show off their collection displays or transport cases?

My trio of Minolta film cameras...

http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/photography/minolta_trio.jpg

You might look at Pelican or Tundra cases with the dividers instead of the pluck foam as it lasts longer and doesn't deteriorate as fast. They open flat and can display the lenses nicely in addition to deploying them for ready access. Actually, if you keep an eye on the condition of the pluck foam, and replace as needed, it does a nice job as well.
  • Like 1

I have a small display case which Ikea seem to no longer offer. Unfortunately I don't know it's name. - In doubt: Check your local sources for used furniture and keep in mind: Best deals are spotted where the market isn't.

Display cases are space eating monsters, if supposed to look good and make their content shine but also remain reachable. So once you are forced to reduce real estate to buy more lenses you'd probably be happier with something with drawers. Or at least you'll want drawers below your display case. Looking at (pseudo) wooden furniture: it seems hard to find drawers with solid bottoms. either you end reinforcing what you'll spot for almost free or you might be better off getting something from the somewhat contemporary office or kitchen realm.

Cases: I don't have the means of transport & housing environment to benefit from their usage.

Clarifying: Cases tend to be heavier than bags &/ backpacks. They might be handy when you can keep a car unlocked in your garage and load a borrowed pallet jack to cart them all at once from your car to your studio. Or if you just want to dump them into the bed of a truck and strap them on pack saddles later.

I live a cigarette from a chance to park a car and ride a scooter. - I'm much better of with just bags.

In the 80s I got hold of some pre-owned cases, bought foam to fill them and cut it out with an electric kitchen knife. For my personal taste and comfort new Pelicases don't look shabby / trashy enough. I'd rather buy used and well worn and less promising looking ones to not attract thieves. <- FTR: I live in a heavily gun controlled part of Europe and have no fighting skills to rely on, so I rather (try to) look poor.

I am also reluctant to rely on Pelicases' ability to withstand 100mls through heavy rain after less than great experiences with motorcycle side cases. For bad weather traveling I like to sink my gear in a hermetic carrier (basically an entirely waterproof 65 l backpack / container. While apparently rock solid it isn't meant to grant easy access to it's content.

Someday I'll cobble a wooden box to go into my cargo bike's front basket, holding th 5x7" monorail, together.

For (general) traveling with hard cases I recommend packing each lens into a pair of spare socks, placing them in the center of your case surrounded by other clothing, maybe inside a plastic bag to make sure things stay dry. At home I should I keep bags ready to get grabbed or extic stuff in ordinary furniture and just the Technika kit in it's dedicated case, which admittedly is way too heavy for my taste but portable.