lens choices

deadtree02

<p>before it gets mentioned I did a search of past postings and I research everything before I purchase anything. All this research is actually driving me nuts. <br>

First my gear - <br>

i have a canon 7d, the 18-135 is, the 50mm 1.8<br>

I have been saving for a while and would like to upgrade a few lenses.<br>

I just recently rented the 70-200 2.8 is ii and that one is definitely on the list. I will be purchasing that lens hopefully soon.<br>

the area in which i am driving myself crazy is what next<br>

my options are as follows - price does matter but i am will to save a bit longer if it is worth it<br>

canon 24-70 L then save for the 16-35<br>

or<br>

the canon 17-55 and the 85 prime<br>

or<br>

go all prime<br>

the 85, 50 and a wide angle prime</p>

<p>I have owned tamron lenses and am not opposed to them as long as the quality is not too drastic. i was thinking of the new tamron 70-200 but i read in a few places that it is soft at 2.8 and that is one of the reasons i am getting it.</p>

<p>I am looking to do more with my photography... currently I am the photography for a camp and have done portraits. I am looking to do more sports (wrestling for example) which is why i lean to the 2.8 or better lenses<br>

thank you for the input and i am sorry if it is a tired question but i am driving myself nuts</p>

<p>david</p>

<p>There will be more suggestions and solutions, but i just wanted to say to avoid a lot of overlap in focal lengths.<br>

If portrait work is your main interest, probably midrange from ca. 50-70 up to 200 is good, but the zoom lenses that have wide apertures are pretty heavy and big.<br>

For sports fast zooms are a good choice, but focal length depends on what the circumstances and conditions of the venue may be. </p>

<p>You really may not need the wide angle lenses for what you've been doing. Look at the exif data on shots with your 18 to 135 and see what focal lengths, and other variables you shoot most often at. That can tell you what you might want to look for, or it can just tell you that you use what you already have. ;)</p>

<p>On a 7D, (any APS-C Format Camera), I think, as a general statement, that a 17 to 50~55 F/2.8 plus 70 to 200 F/2.8 is a better combination of two zooms than a 24 to 70 and 70 to 200; because the wide end of the 17 to 50~55 is more useful attached to that lens than having to change lenses at around the 24mm Focal Length and the 'missing' Focal Lengths between 50~55 and 70 are not that often noticed - AND - that area is usually OK for a lens change due to necessity.</p>

<p>Therefore, if I had an exclusive APS-C kit, I would NOT be considering the 16 to 35 F/2.8L MkII – it not super wide and the 35 end is really not long enough for it to be a “really useful lens” on APS-C Format.</p>

<p>(I have an EF 16 to 35/2.8 and I also have an APS-C camera and I use the 16 to 35 on it – BUT – I do not ONLY have APS-C cameras.)</p>

<p>On the subject of sports – I agree that F/2.8 Zooms are the most useful, provided that the lens has BOTH the FL max reach and also the ZOOM COMPASS for the particular sport and your typical CAMERA VIEWPOINT. The additional consideration is whether (or not) you have the ability to ROAM.</p>

<p>Just a thought linking two points: you mention Wrestling; and you mention the 70 to 200/2.8 IS MkII as your first purchase – (depending upon what type of wrestling) - IF you have access to the rim of the mat area and you can also roam, then arguably a fast 17 to 50~55 would be a better first choice purchase.</p>

<p>I also have the EF 85/1.8. Some advantages of that lens (for Sport) is its weight and also one extra stop (and a bit) of lens speed. I have been in a circumstance (indoor swimming) when I needed to swap from a 70 to 200/2.8 to the 85 and use it to get an extra stop of shutter speed – unusual but possible. On APS-C I find it is a really nice lens for Tight Portraiture. The lens is really quite inexpensive for what it provides, but you might not use it as often as you think, if you buy the 70 to 200 F/2.8L IS MkII.</p>

<p>I actually have more Prime Lenses than Zoom Lenses in my Canon DSLR Kit and I use the Primes a lot – but I tend to use two working cameras, even for fun stuff, which I mainly do now - I tend to use a Zoom Lens on one Camera and a Prime Lens on the other. On the other hand - as it appears you are shooting with one camera - I suggest you think through what FL that you will require and buy two good quality fast (F/2.8) Zoom Lenses – and do not underestimate the value of IS in the 17 to 50~55 range – and I suggest you get your two <em>'main working zoom lenses'</em>, before you buy any more Prime Lenses.</p>

<p>Also – if you are doing this ‘professionally’ you probably need another camera body as a back-up.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>David, based on what William already stated, I would analyze what I really need for a first purchase (either a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens, or a telephoto prime lens, such as the 85mm f/1.8, the 100mm f/2.0, or even the 200mm f/2.8 L). For this you need to consider its extended use (the zoom is more versatile, but a lot heavier). While I usually recommend to plan for a complete system before start investing in separate pieces which won't part as parts of a system, in this case I would suggest that you wait until you see the results of this purchase, and then begin planning on your next piece of equipment, as only then you will see if having a heavy f/2.8 L zoom lens is what you really need, and what focal length is best to complement this purchase (you already have a 18-135mm zoom lens, why don't keep it and get into an ultra wide point of view, or why don't go into extreme telephoto territory?<br>

Also, the second camera is a great suggestion: If you need to be accountable for your images, you can't trust a single camera to be 100% reliable. A second camera body, even a new Rebel or a used 60D, could give you more opportunities, as you won't need to keep changing lenses, and that will also give you another consideration point before deciding on your following lens' purchase.<br>

I believe you need to see the results of your next purchase before begin driving yourself nuts on a purchase that may be actually executed until next year.</p>

<p>The 70-200 2.8L ISs are big and heavy. I would only consider them if the lighting in the venues is poor. Otherwise the 70-200F4L IS is much lighter, easier to handle and just as good. I try to only buy lenses when I know I need them for my photography. If you are unsure then it is time to take a break, shoot some more pictures and come to a definite conclusion "I need this lens to capture these images that I want".</p>