Lens Cap, where to put it?

jucamana

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Another left pocket person here, but the front pocket; be consistent so you can lay hands on it quickly. I find the little string attachments ('cap savers', etc.) to be far more trouble than they're worth.</p>

<p>Also, buy multiple copies of cheap lens caps. Some places sell 'side-button' ones for as little as a buck apiece. Pinch type caps are a little more.</p>

<p>+1 left front pocket. Which pocket is less important than being consistent so you don't have to hunt for it. Just develop the habit, and you'll always know where it is.</p>

<p>+1 using generic lens caps. I use step-up rings on my 'under-77mm filter thread' lenses and so I use just one size of screw mount filter, so on trips I pack one spare generic 77mm lens cap. I haven't had a generic lens cap affect image quality since I quit shooting with rangefinder cameras. :)</p>

<p>Since my CPs and ND grads ride in my bag, if I'll use 'em, the lens hood usually goes back in the bag. In a pinch, with some lenses I can just reverse it. Collapsible rubber lens hoods sometimes solve this problem, depending on the lens.</p>

<p>I use a Sima CapKeeper. It's a tether with an elastic band that goes around the lens. I've never lost and never broken a cap and while caps are fairly inexpensive to replace, it's a pain in the butt if you lose one while you're out shooting and then have to figure out how to protect the lens on your way home.</p>

<p>On some lenses I use one of those inexpensive lens cap keeper cords. One type has an elastic band that wraps snug around the lens barrel. Another type has a little locking tab that attaches to the camera's neck strap lug. On one camera I even made my own by gluing a short length of thick mono fishing line to front of the lens cap, using epoxy cement. I guess it depends on your style, but I never mind the dangling cap on a string. I just ignore it and keep taking pictures.</p>

<p>On my lenses that do not have a keeper, I usually put the cap either in my front shirt pocket, or my left pants pocket, or back in the camera's wrap-around case, where it stays till I go to put the camera away.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How many lenses do you need for landscapes anyways?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If I take out the Bronica system then six. But then of course I'm trying to get the best photographs I can rather than get photographs as easily as I can. Sometimes I have two systems with me taking the lenses to 9. And there's a cap on every one and no hoods. </p>

<p>In winter i tend to wear button up shirts when I'm shooting - that usually has a shirt pocket, I use that.<br>

Otherwise, I'll use my non-wallet back pocket. I put less things in that pocket so it seems to collect lint less for me.<br>

I had the elastic teather thing, it was a pain.</p>

<p>Like Jeff, I use the Sima CapKeeper. I loop the elastic tether through the strap loop though. That way, even if the elastic gives out, it's still attached to the camera. I've been using these capkeepers since teh '70s when I had my old Minolta and never lost a cap.</p>

<p>In my left hip pocket. But, if I use my wife's camera, I need to put it in HER left hip pocket! That way she can find the cap when I hand the camera back to her! From experience, this method avoids unnessary searches and argument! Regards, Jeff</p>