Lens Baby for weddings?

lisa h

Hi, I am wondering if many of you ever use a 'Lens Baby' for

photographing weddings? If so, in what situations do you use them

for the most (portraits, details ,etc)? I have never used one, but

am slightly intrigued by the look that they can achieve.

Thanks for any thoughts on this topic.

P.S. I did see some nice Lens Baby photos posted by Marc Williams in

an old post. If anyone else (or Marc again) has more to post I would

be interested in seeing examples.

I use mine frequently. Sometimes for scenics, sometimes for details (it's a great little macro lens), sometimes during the ceremony for overall shots ... just whenever I have some time and want to play a bit. I'll see if I can attach one from a wedding in Sanibel last year.<div>00G3ED-29429684.jpg.99cf0a0643f412322dfb70e6361ce693.jpg</div>

The fewer lens changes the better for keeping digital camera sensors clean. Why a photographer would take the time to screw up an otherwise good shot with a gimmick is beyond me. When the client asks if she can have the same image without the blurred effect you are going to be so embarrassed. A similar effect in photoshop is to use a 100-200 feather selection and gaussian blur or other filters. You have total control over the effect, can undo it if the client doesn't like it, keep your sensor cleaner, and save time on the shoot by concentrating on highest quality capure.

Changing lenses, if you're careful, does not mean you're going to get tons of dirt or dust on your sensor. I shoot nothing but prime lenses. I only own one zoom and that's a cheap consumer one for personal use. I *have* to change lenses at weddings or I'd be limited to one focal length.

As to being "embarassed" when you can't remove the effect ... *eyeroll*. Hardly.

A Lensbaby can work marvelously well in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. I DON'T use one of my own, but I shoot frequently enough with someone who does. They happen to keep the thing on their third camera body (version 2.0) and change it out every so often with a 50mm prime. Pretty neat if you ask me. I don't think it's a gimmick, it's preference, and some clients like the results. A LOT of clients are looking for something unique, and it can't hurt to have a couple of stunning LB images in your portfolio. It's on my extended list of things to buy (not a priority). Like a fisheye or extreme wide angle, it's definitely worth a few shots at a wedding if you have the time.

It can also be used for still life work, portrait sessions, etc. I've even seen commercial images I'm fairly sure were shot with a lensbaby.

At a $150, it's not going to break the bank. Buy it used and then sell it if you don't like it. And don't expect every shot to be beautiful. Sometimes you are rolling the dice with this lens and you aren't assured of consistent results.

Hi Karen, I like that image, thanks for posting.

From the lack of response I guess not many other people are using them?

Marc, do you feel that something was wrong with your Lens Baby; did it not work as well as you thought it should? or did you just tire of the look that it created?

As far as the dust issue; if someone was concerned about this, they could have the lens on a second body (don't a lot of people carry more than one body sometimes anyway)?

I cannot foresee myself using this total gimmick. Throw in all those hard earned $$$ to get the best camera so that you can put this piece of thing in to blur your images.

Using a truly fast lens (f1.4 or faster) from a reputable lens manufacturer will yield a nice bokeh.

If being blur is what you want, a Holga will give you more than enough spin in along that dimension.

Calling a tool many photographers successfully use a gimmick is like me calling the Holga a gimmick, and I've seen some beautiful Holga images at art shows that would be extremely hard to reproduce using any other tool out there. Please be more constructive in your criticism.

I can recreate the lens baby effect in PS, and most (not all) brides love those images. I have two in sample albums. Whether or not it's a gimmick can be judged by your client's reaction to the image. If the lensbaby style images fit your style of photography, why not go for it? If you don't want to use one at a wedding, try one at an engagement session where you have bit more time to play.

I, for one, like the lens baby effect in some images if they are well done.

So a lensbaby is a gimmick but a Holga is not? That makes no sense.

Besides, a Holga requires that you shoot film - medium format film,in fact, develop it and scan it. A lensbaby allows you to shoot digital ... your regular camera.

Of course you wouldn't shoot every image at a wedding with one. That would be silly. But they are fun and different and they stimulate creativity and thought sometimes. And don't we do what we do because it's fun and creative? I mean if you just wanted to do the same old thing over and over again, then you might as well get a job as a data entry clerk and be done with it.

Karen

Relax, even some of the people who use the lens call it a gimmick. In fact, by definition it's

a gimmick:

"Something such as a new technique or device that attracts attention or publicity".-

Dictonary

Is it fun? Sure. It was for me for about 3 times using it. It takes a lot of shots and practice

to get anything decent, and the sharp areas ... well ... aren't sharp. And while others may

shoot a wedding with a Holga, I wouldn't.

Besides, half the people on this forum whine about the cost of gear, and cut corners on

important stuff like better glass than the kit lens that came with their camera ... then howl

when someone calls a spade-a-spade in an honest attempt to save them the $150 they

could put toward basic wedding gear.

But it's your money.

I think in the right situation the lens baby can be good for wedding shots...e.g. the bride

getting ready or close-up detail shots. It can create a really artistic looking shot used the

right way. Saying that I haven't used it yet for a wedding as it does take a lot of messing

around to get the desired effect and when time is of the essence it's not an option very

often!

Don't let people put you off though...just make sure you don't over do it or you'll end up

with lots of blurry 'arty' shots and the bride won't be happy! ;-)

I have one... It warms the bottom of my bag... BUT it does come out every once in a while when i see that one shot that a lensbaby would totally make. long and short of it - its a specialized tool that adds a small bit of variety to my images. does it get used often? no... but it hasnt gone up on ebay yet either... all depends on your own photography style whether you would actually use it or not.

Let's put it in perspective. My opinion is based on lots of use at first, of which 95% were

culls. Not one of the 5% "good shots" shots went into an album. That gets old fast. Others

may have the opposite experience.

IMO, it is a difficult device to employ in a hectic environment. Most crop frame DSLRs have

viewfinders that make this lens difficult to focus in a key area. Hand held it goes out of

focus with the slightest body sway. A Nikon with focus confirmation may be more useful,

but the Canons do not have focus confirmation when manual focus lenses are mounted.

BTW, if you ever wanted to see what Chromatic Aberration looks like ... use this lens. It

creates color fringing like nothing I've ever used before.

But it can work, and can be fun. So can a hole drilled in a body cap to make a pin-hole

camera ... which cost about $10.

Here's a "Lens Baby" studio shot of our Easter Lily ... taken on a tripod using strobes. It

took 10 shots to get one good one ... and that was in very controlled conditions.<div>00G7r5-29540184.jpg.64b75d6a0ef890b58bfeca7aade028e7.jpg</div>