lens advice for upcoming trip

sheryl_bury_michals

I recently got info on a post I did regarding the Canon 24-105 lens, which was very helpful. I may hold off getting that lens for the time being

In going through my lenses for an upcoming trip, I am torn between a) just going with my old Tamron 28-200/3.5-5.6 aspherical lens (which I've had for about 15+ years), just find it moves a bit slower on my 7D. I would be thinking of getting the Tamron close-up lens in this case since this is an older model.

or

b) take instead both my canon 17-40/f4 and 75-300/f4 lenses. I will be doing group shots at a conference during dinners with colleagues(some in the evenings), but also want to do some scenic city shots as well (I'll be be Belgrade and also in Geneva), I will be taking one of my canon 7Ds as well as my 580EX flash.

Since I will be carrying a bag around, it won't be a big one, so I want as less weight as possible. I think both options could work, but wanted some feedback as to what would be best for my shooting needs. However, since some events will be indoors in lower light, it is something I need to consider when choosing lenses. (I've used my Canon 24-70/2.8 in the past, it's just a little weighty, and I've toyed with the idea of getting a canon 10-22 for wide shots,,,,I thought about taking my 35/f2 prime as well)

Thanks for your help,

Sheryl :)

I would take the 7D with the 17-40/f4 and really think about leaving the 75-300 at home.

The wide 17-40 would probably work for the conference group shots.

Maybe also take the 35/f2 if it is too dim indoor for the 17-40/f4.

On the Tamron 28-200, how slow is slow? Is it acceptable or too slow?

On the wide end, it may not be wide enough for the group shots.

It has a much longer reach than the 17-40. But how much larger than the 17-40 is this lens?

When I traveled, I found I used the wide lenses more than my tele lenses.

And you have enough resolution in the camera to crop into the image somewhat.

• Like 1

both my 75-300 and 28-200 lenses could work as I wanted to take some closeup shots, hence the need for the extra mm. I was at my camera shop the other day, and it was suggested to me to take the 35 f/2 (since many of my dinner shots will be in dimly lit restaurants) and the 28-200 (I got a closeup lens attachment for the Tamron since it's an older version, which should help). I'm taking my small tamrac backpack so want to keep it from being too weighty (as I'll have batteries, a charger, Cf cards and the like to bring too)

The 24-70/2.8 may be heavy, but it is ideal for event photography, and most cityscapes as well. You might want something wider for interiors, like a 21/2.8, or the 17-40. I usually carry a 70-200/2.8 (or f/4), but find little use for it in urban areas. Both Canon and Nikon are making very good f/4 zooms, which are 1/3rd smaller and lighter than their f/2.8 versions. With ISO to burn, you might plan along that line for future use.
  • Like 1

Sheryl,

Consider making your existing 35mm prime the heart of your travel system. To that, I would add the new, very light and very inexpensive Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM wide angle zoom. Lastly, I would round it out with the Tamron 60mm F2.0 Macro. These three lenses should suffice to give you a simple, light weight, but high performance travel system. Leave the heavy zooms home.

Alex