Leitz Wetzlar Summicron - R 50mm F2

adrian_ho

<p>Adrian,<br>

If you want to shoot people, then get an 80/1.4 summilux. Not cheap, but it is one of THE standout R lenses. (The others are the 19/2.8 version 2, 100/2.8 APO, 180/2 and 180/2.8 APOs, 280/4 APO). If you're happy with a zoom, then either the 35-70/4 ROM or 80-200/4 ROM lenses are excellent quality and reasonably priced.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Charlie<br>

www.charlie-chan.co.uk</p>

<p>Adrian, the key component in a Leica R/Canon set-up isn't the lens, it's the adaptor. I've tried six or seven and get very different results. The second point is that unfortunately you'll be using stop down metering, so fast moving subjects and conditions aren't a happy combination with Leica lenses on Canon bodies.<br>

Regarding the virtues of specific lenses, I'd largely agree with Charlie's comments although I'm less impressed with the Leica 80/1.4, and the new Canon L 100mm is virtually indistinguishable from the Leica 100mm macro in most practical circumstances. Other lenses to consider are the last version of the Leica 50mm 2.0, the second version of the Leica 60mm macro (there's no Canon equivalent for this lens), the last version of the Leica 90mm 2.8, and the last version of the Leica 90mm 2.0. These two 90mm R lenses are virtually the same optically as the M series versions, and amongst the finest lenses that Leica has ever produced.</p>