Leitz/Leica 21mm Finders

Here is what I know about Leitz/Leica 21mm finders. There are at least 3

numbered versions and subvarients. There is the 12012 metal finder with standard

shoe. The 12008 comes in at least two subvarinets, one branded Leitz and one

branded Leica. I have to assume tha both have the plastic mount with locking

switch as the one I have is labeled Leitz or did that change with the Leica branding

to just a mount?

The new finder is the 12013 21/24/28 finder.

Now my question is out of all of these finder which one will not break off the

camera and last? The 12008 seems like it will certainly break and I have been told

that the 12012 doesn't have parallax correction. The 12013 finder does not have

bright line framing.

So which is the best? No other finders need be considered. -Dick

The 21/24/28 finder has no frame lines and the whole field of view at each setting is supposed to represent the coverage of the lens. However, the coverage is very conservative and you get much more on the film than expected. Coupled with the fact that you cannot see anything outside the field of view offered, this is a very unsatisfactory finder, which probably explains its apparent unpopularity.

I use the 24mm version of the 12008, which I believe is the same finder as the 21mm but with different frame lines. Its frame lines poorly represent the coverage of the 24mm lens and the lines themselves are crude, being far too broad for my liking. I suspect the same would be true of the 12008.

There is a lever on the base that is supposed to clamp the finder firmly in the hot shoe but it makes very little difference. The plastic casing is brittle and mine has a chunk out of it from when it was dropped. It still functions as well as before.

Personally, I find the Voigtlander 25mm finder to be superior to both of these Leica finders. The frame lines are more accurate for the 24mm Elmarit that is my favourite lens (of all I have ever used). I therefore expect that the Voigtlander 21mm would be a very good choice.

Another option would be the Carl Zeiss 21mm finder for the current ZM M-mount Biogons. The Zeiss finders are expensive but are beautifully made. I have looked through one - it is very clear and bright - but I haven't used one for shooting film, so cannot offer an opinion as to how representative the coverage is.

I do have a Carl Zeiss 21mm finder that was sold with the 21mm Biogon for the Contax G1 and G2. As with the Leica 21/24/28mm finder, there are no frame lines, so I cannot recommend this either.

So I would recommend trying the Voigtlander and Carl Zeiss ZM finders. Both are made by Cosina, but they are very different.

According to your description I own a 12012. No parallax compensation has never been a problem to me. At approx. 1m I guess 15% of the image hight under my frame. Tilt the camera slightly more downwards and you see what you get, for exposing you tilt slightly upwards into level again and that's it. Has been always accurate enough for me. I like also the form, compactness and finish that matches perfectly any chrome body. (Don't no if there are black ones out there)

It's my finder along with a SA 21mm/f4 since about 15 years,

and I use it!

Once the lens elements inside the finder started to rattle a bit, and I asked my tech about what to do about it (Mr. Reinhardt of Kielgas Fotomechanik, Hannover, Germany).

"They are not repairable, as they are glued together", he said.

The finder did fix itself again... Some knocks, whatever.

No problems, low distortion.

Interestingly "finders" in german are called "seekers"/"searchers"...

which is also an approach!

Good luck in your re-search for your finder!

It's too bad no other suggestion is acceptable, because the 21mm finder might be Leitz' worst product. My all-metal one was constantly falling off, and finally got damaged (first the back glass separated, but then the front one broke, too. At the time they would fix them, and it cost a lot. When I got my first C/Voigtlander finder, it was a revelation as to what the right way to do it was, both in terms of durability, and also brightness and clarity.

I use the black plastic Leica finders with all of my respective Leica wides (21, 24, & 28). I have tried the current 21/24/28 finder and agree the frames are too tight - and in fact near worthless if you wear glasses.

I have owned several black plastic CV finders and I actually like them better than the Leitz/Leica finders. They are sealed against dust and brighter. I have never tried the metal Zeiss finders, but it seems to be unanimously agreed upon that they are the best accessory finders currently available.

Although the Zeiss finders might be "better" I prefer a finder with a plastic bottom as this will not wear or damage the camera's accessory/hot shoe.

If I had no finders at all and needed to buy today, I would get the black plastic CV finders. But since you don't seem to be open to that, I would say stick with the Leitz/Leica plastic finders.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Ordered a Zeiss finder for the 21mm ZM as the consensus seems to be that this is the best. Just looking at the plastic mount on the 12008 and the glue joint of the two halves makes me feel like it won't last one good knock. Thanks for all the replies.-Dick

You bought right, Richard. I sold my 21mm Leica finder after I got the Zeiss.

Tony: I owned both the 21 and 24mm for a while. They are not quite the same. The 21mm finder, in addition to having a wider brightline, also affords a wider field of view. The 24mm finder isn't too bad, and I kept it. Not sure why, as I also have the 25/28 Zeiss finder. I guess I just felt that the small size of the Leitz finder would make me glad I had it, sooner or later.