Leicavit-M & Leica Motor M Experiences

Well I have my M6 0.85 and am considering either/both a Leicavit-M or Leica

Motor M. What experiences has anyone had with using the Leicavit-M and a half

case with wrist strap?

What experiences has anyone had using the Leica Motor M and half case?

As I would like to keep the noise to a minimum, please comment on the noise of

either versas a normal M6. Thanks for any responses. -Dick

I find the M Motor to be excellent. Its fairly quiet, and mine works perfectly. The best part is that you can choose to use it or not. If quiet and small in more important one day just leave it off. I don't use mine that much but when I do I like it - a lot.

I can only comment on the current Motor-M by itself, vs. manual wind. I like shooting with

the motor, as it improves the ergonomics of M6 & M7 bodies tremendously. The handle on

the front of the new style of motor is very convenient for holding the body and helps keep

your fingers out of the way of the rangefinder patch window. While it does add to the

noise of picture taking, it is not loud, and if yo need quiet, you can turn off the motor and

still manually advance the film.

I've never had a jam with the motor, though apparently it can happen at slow shutter

speeds in continuous shooting. The one time I thought I had a jam turned out to be having

a 24 frame roll instead of the 36 exposure one I thought was in my M7 body! The jam risk

may be greater on older motor-compatible M's.

It is nice not having to take my eye from the finder when shooting, and the current motor

also sports a tripod mount centered under the lens. Your left hand is free to focus the lens

only, unlike with a Leicavit, which requires your left hand to do two things. I don't use a

motor all the time, because sometimes I feel like traveling light. I then use an M-Grip

instead to improve the body .

i have and use both Leicavit and Motor-M (newest version, not the two older motors).

use neither with a case or half-case so can't comment on that -- cases slow down

reloading cameras which kind of defeats purpose of rapid advance...

Leicavit is more expensive than Motor-M. I had Abrahmsson rapidwinder before

Leicavit. Leicavit is smaller than Abrahmsson. being left-eyed, i like Leicavit because

it allows you to not remove camera from eye to advance film. Leicavit, if well-oiled, is

VERY quiet AND fast. It's not for everyone, but if you like it, you'll love it. I certainly

do. Biggest difference with Motor is that, as it does not advance film after exposure

until you want to, it's better for slow shutter speeds and truly discreet situations.

Motor is, well, a motor. Fast and smooth. up to 3 fps on the "II" setting. and bit

slower, but definitely quieter, on the "I" setting. Batteries last forever, more than the

40 rolls of film that they're rated for. Better therefore than Leicavit for fast shutter

speeds and public situations where discretion doesn't matter. Quiet compared to

most motor-driven cameras, no matter what.

Knowing the different attributes of each device, i usually work with two cameras, each

one with the different accessory. during fast moving events like street demonstrations

or riots, weddings, funerals, etc., having a camera body with each works very well.

I have two M-Motors and a Leicavit for a IIIf. I find the Leica M-motors quite and very effective. I use them with a M4-P and a M3.

If I could put the M-motor on my IIIf I would. But the Leicavit really improves the IIIf handling.

My choice would be the M-Motors without a doubt.

Years ago I had a 'vit on a Leica IIIf and it made a big difference compared to the knob wind. The lever on an M is fast enough for me. Of course back in the 1960's Leicavits weren't so premium priced, even factoring for inflation. They listed brand new for about $50 and used ones sold for $25 or less. A brand new M2 body (without self timer) listed for $200 and you could often find a used one for close to $100.

Noise and distraction will be less with the Leicavit M. As a lefty, I use both a Leicavit on the LTMs and a Abrahamsson Rapidwinder on an M4-2. The Rapidwinder seems to me to be quieter than the Leicavit, perhaps due to the Rapidwinder's non-metallic drive. To me, camera balance and film advance while still being able to use the viewfinder is important.