Leicaflex SL in search of a 50mm lens- recommendations.

ken_kartes

Summicron you want, f2.

None of them collapse. Collapsible lenses were for Leica rangefinder cameras.

Otherwise all 2 or 3 cam lenses will be ok. 2 cam made for SL is probably cheaper.

Avoid 1 cam Summicron made for original Leicaflex.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

JE, no need for correction, a good clean 2 cam 50 Summicron is a great choice for the SL. I do recommend use of a lens hood, as wide open it does flare. I've been using a Leicaflex Standard ver. 1 with a first version Summicron R 50 for 40+ years and never been disappointed. Great color lens. Sherry Krauter may have a used Summicron R ver.2 for sale that she has CLA'd and she backs up her work. I paid her a little extra and bought a used and CLA'd f2.8 Summaron 35 and it is my #2 Leicaflex lens. The Leicaflex Standard ver. 1,2 and the Leicaflex SL are way overbuilt with very bright viewfinders. Although heavy, especially with long lenses, they fit the hand well. The SL with an accurate through the lens meter will serve you well with the 50 Summicron. As for meter batteries, the PX 625 mercury is no longer available, however I use a silver oxide with a converter and the battery lasts over a year. Be sure to open the battery compartment and check for corrosion, it is not uncommon on Leicaflex bodies that have sat idle with the battery left inside. I never leave the battery in mine.

Do note that a good number of the later Summicron-R 50mm, with 55mm filter, are only for R-cameras (only having the 3rd cam, if I'm not mistaken) - those do not work with the Leicaflex SL models as they miss necessary mechanical linkage with those cameras. So, easiest and safest bet is the lenses with a Series 7 filter. On the big auction site, it's plenty available at very doable prices.

Stolen from another Leica post ' so I found the Tamron with a Leica R adapter with it on EBay. Have any of you ever shot that Tamron lens on a Leica R camera body?'

This is a reminder that relatively cheap Tamron lenses could be fitted via the appropriate 'Leicaflex' adaptor. Adaptall or Adaptall 2? Don't think you can use 'Leica R' adaptor.

Good if you can't afford exotic Leica zooms.

safest bet is the lenses with a Series 7 filter" Wouter W.

Just a quick correction:

The 1st & 2nd Version of the 1, 2 & 3 cam 50mm Summicron-R lens, has in fact a Series VI filter size.

This version is the lens that has the reversible metal OEM hood.

The 3rd version was a screw-in E55 filter with a built-in/slide-out hood.

Edited by Gus Lazzari

• 1 year later...

I just recently purchased a Leicaflex SL2 and I found that a Tamron Adaptal 2 lens - an SP 24-48mm did in fact mount to the body. I did not go further than mounting it and firing the shutter. This would not mount on my SL. In my opinion, the Tamron SP 24-48mm F2.5 is a decent lens. I have other Leica lenses that work on the SL2 and my R6. FWIW, there are Leica zooms made by Minolta and Sigma.

John

First congratulations on your SL2 purchase....that was my favorite Leica SLR, which I liked even better than my R3 or R8. I used Tamron lenses on the SL2 until I could affort the Leica ones. On the comment about Minolta and Sigma zooms...in most cases their designs were used, but QC by Leica rejected many, as Leica insisted that before their name went on them that they met Leica standards. Leica's Vario-Elmar 80-200/f4 was a fantastic zoom at a reasonable price. I never got into their super high priced ones. The Minolta designed 35-70 failed to impress me though.