Leica Thread Mount Lenses on the Pentax "ist"

john_wire

The Leica Thread Mount register is 28.80mm where the Pentax K-mount register is

45.46mm (see

<a href="http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm" target=new>

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm </a> for a listing of camera mount

registers). This means that even if a threaded adapter of zero thickness were available, the

LTM lens would start with an extension of 16.6mm ... it would never focus to infinity

without optics in the adapter, which would degrade the lens' performance. Also,

rangefinder lenses often protrude into the lens mount cavity too far for the swinging

mirror of an SLR to operate. For these reasons, there are no commercially available

adapters.

<br><br>

I've seen Leica rangefinder lenses adapted for use on SLRs nonetheless, but only to do

high magnification macro photography when fitted to a bellows or close up extension

tube.

<br><br>

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey, I'm trying to find more reasons to purchase an "ist". Maybe it's time to make the switch anyway.

Looks like I'm "stuck" with film for awhile longer. Would be nice to have an affordable digital option for some old LTM lenses though. Regards.

John Wire said:<br>

<i>

> Thanks Godfrey, I'm trying to find more reasons to purchase <br>

> an "ist". Maybe it's time to make the switch anyway.<br></i>

<br>

I had Leica M gear for many years and loved it. With the coming of quality 5-8Mpixel

digital cameras in 2002, I traded it off for a Hasselblad and moved all my small format

work to digital capture. After half a year of that, I bought a Canon 10D which pretty much

obviated using film for the largest size prints I was making, so I sold off all the medium

format gear too.

<br><br>

I still have a couple of my small sensor cameras and the 10D kit, but I've found that the

Pentax *ist DS is my preferred shooter for most work. I like the size and weight, and find

the Pentax lenses produce image qualities that are quite reminiscent of what I used to get

with the Leica kit. It's not the highest spec camera in the world, but it produces results

that are very satisfying to me and to my clients. I'm sure when they rev the top of the line

model, the improvements will be worth the upgrade cost, and I'm not in any hurry.

<br><br>

<i>

> Would be nice to have an affordable digital option for some <br>

> old LTM lenses though.

</i>

<br><br>

The Epson RD-1 works pretty well, although "affordable" isn't a good description. The

upcoming Leica M digital body, when it surfaces, will make it seem that way, though!

<br><br>

Good luck with your decision. The Pentax *ist DS line is definitely worth it, and so is

continuing to shoot film if you enjoy it. The photographs are what matter, really. ;-)

<br><br>

Godfrey

John, I assume you are referring the *ist digitals, the DS(2) or D, and not the *ist 35mm SLR?

For me, the Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 limited pancake lens with the *ist DS is enough reason alone. No other DSLR manufacturer offers anything nearly as compact.

For a real treat, I also use the 40mm on the Pentax MZ-S 35mm. A combination I'd think even a Leica-holic could appreciate. I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV film scanner and it works very well for an inexpensive film scanner.

My "essential" Pentax DSLR lens kit includes:<br><br>

Pentax DA14/2.8<br>

Pentax FA20-35/4 AL *<br>

Pentax FA35/2 AL *<br>

Pentax FA50/1.4 *<br>

Pentax FA135/2.8 IF<br>

<br>

The ones with the '*' are my "nearly always in the bag" kit. I have a few others I don't use

quite as often as well, but the above are what gets used the most. I've been very pleased

with these lenses, they are all excellent performers. (Keep in mind that a 35mm lens on

the *ist DS sensor is the normal, equivalent to a 50mm lens on your Leica.)

<br><br>

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, I confess my LTM lenses are Jupiters or Industars on a Zorki-4 body. My interest was/is capturing the "flare/glow" in the old lenses (and there is alot among other things).... which is interesting to me. I'll have to keep some film around for that look now.

I have another deadend system, Canon FD lenses. I'm trying not to make another Canon mistake when I "buy into" digital. Regards.

<i>

> I confess my LTM lenses are Jupiters or Industars on<br>

> a Zorki-4 body. My interest was/is capturing the "flare/glow" in<br>

> the old lenses (and there is alot among other things).... which<br>

> is interesting to me. I'll have to keep some film around for that<br>

> look now.<br>

</i>

<br>

I suspect that as you become proficient with digital image processing you'll find you can

obtain almost any look you are interested in. There are also plenty of M42 SLR lenses out

in the world to choose from that will likely give you the flare/glow you're interested in,

including tons of Russian lenses. <br>

<br>

<i>

> I have another deadend system, Canon FD lenses. I'm trying not to<br>

> make another Canon mistake when I "buy into" digital. Regards.<br>

</i>

<br>

lol ... I don't know when people are going to stop being pissed off at Canon for revising

their lens mount. It's 22 years ago, or something like that, now... ;-)<br>

<br>

I don't worry about such things too much. I try to buy what I'm going to use, use it a lot,

and let it go when it is no longer useful to me.

<br><br>

When Pentax went from screw mount to bayonet, they kept the same register and allowed

used of an adapter so the old lenses could be used. That remains the case today ... many

Pentax users enjoy working with the M42 lenses on their DSLR bodies. The bayonet bodies

don't work the auto-diaphragm mechanism, but they focus just fine, aperture priority AE

and manual exposure metering both work well with them. <br>

<br>

Godfrey