Leica Taking Severe Financial Blow for 2005

As a follow-up to my previous communication about Leica's financial

woes, it has come to my attention that the fiscal year 2005 financial

blow is severe. While the company remains solvent - with assets

exceeding liabilities, worldwide sales have declined to the point

where Leica management has pointed out that such losses will lead to

a loss in the amount of half of the registered share capital of Leica

Camera AG. For non-accountants, this means that the company will lose

half its value in the stock market. Not a good thing.

Because of the poor performance and lack of management credibility on

the part of financiers, as of several weeks ago bank credit lines

were terminated. Generally, the termination of credit lines is the

first step in a bankruptcy. Thus, a shareholder Extraordinary General

Meeting is scheduled for May 31, 2005, to decide on what financial

measures can be implemented to try to turn the company around.

What stuns me most is that this small elite branded company can be

brought to the brink of financial disaster. For starters, in order to

turn the company around I would recommend the board immediately fire

Leicas vice-president of finance and the vice-president of marketing.

Paul Angulo, CPA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"For non-accountants, this means that the company will lose half its value in the stock market."

Rubbish. Losing half (or any other portion) of its net worth does not have any direct effect on a company's share price. Share prices are set by the willingness of an investor to pay. A few years back there were any number of internet-related companies with only nominal shareholder equity whose shares nonetheless were valued, briefly, in the stratosphere.

Before you ridicule you might want to analyze the financials and know what you're talking about. One of the worst financial cases I've ever seen, ever.

Leica AG is puny compared to the finances I work on daily.

I didn't realize ignorance ws so pervasive.

Get the facts before you put hoof in mouth.

As for me, I'm more interested in taking pictures. See ya!

Paul, FYI, Leica periodically sends out e-mail announcements to its fans and customers. I received the very same information you have conveyed in this thread approximately 2 months ago. I'm sure most of the members of this forum have already received the information as well. Those of us on Leicas' mailing list also received this news by postal mail, long ago. The problem has also been cited in Leicas' LFI publication, I'm told. Best regards, Bill

Paul, if you are so interested in taking photos, than why are you starting a thread on a forum that essentially repeats an issue that has been beaten to death, and then in turn attacking others. Shouldn't you be out taking photos instead.

Thank you for your kind and noble words. I am surprised by the level of attack towards me from this community of photographers, especially by those labeled as heroes by the Forum.

I was not aware of the archives since I am new here. The attacks are intended to silence the individual. The very thing Americans fight against in IRAQ and worldwide.

I have worked with many photographers mostly in Hollywood and I have always done so with mutual respect as an artist and a professional.

Again, thank you Sir, and I thank those who have contributed so positively during my week on this site. Semper Fi. Paul Angulo, CPA

Paul,

I hope you will hang around the forum for a while. There are a lot of personal attacks and some "harmless" sarcasm. But there is also a lot of information here as well as some great Leica gear to be sold.

Try to ignore the bad comments...it's easy just to scroll over them and if they get TOO bad, the poster gets banned. That cools things down pretty quickly.