Leica standard E -1938

On e bay this item is now on sale with serial numbers 244926. Is it really a standard eE or a Leica I ?

Looking at the serial numbers on cameraquest it seems Leica I.

What means standard ? What difference to a Leica I ?

What do you think of this item ??

Thanks

A "Standard" is a later Leica C or any Leica E, which has a 0 engraved at the top of the lens mount. This means that the flange-to-film distance has been "standardized" to 28.80mm, so that any lens may be used on any camera.

Before that, on the early Leica C's, each camera was a slightly different thickness, and lenses were made to match the thickness of the camera they were to be used on. Then the last three digits of the camera serial number were engraved on that lens. Non-interchangeable parts, not a really good idea! (Eli Whitney figured out interchangeable parts in 1798.)

A non-standard C can mount any Leica LTM lens, it's just that there will be compromises in focusing accuracy. If you're just guess focusing, it's probably not critical on 50mm or longer lenses, but if you're using an external rangefinder, and shooting wide open with 28 to 50mm lens, you would care.

Of course, it is trivial to have a non-standardized C standardized, which is the only sensible thing to do if you don't have a matching crop of lenses. A few shims under the lens mount won't affect collector value, and they can be found if someone finds some matching non-standardized lenses.