Leica SL/SL2 2x Extender

I have a couple of these for use with my NON APO Leica R lenses.

I shoot SLR (most often) with an SL or SL2 with a second generation 50mm/f2 Summicron.

Reading the material on the web, some users find this/these extenders perfectly awful. Others find them quite useable.

If one carefully considers the comments offered, it seems (to me at least) that the analyses of the optical performance of this particular extender are very much specific to Leica R prime with which the extender was combined.

Using this particular extender with an APO Leica R lens is reported produce completely unsatisfactory results (one notes that the population of unhappy users is small).

Combining this extender with (other than APO glass) has demonstrably produced quite acceptable results if one is to judge from several sets of posted images.

I ran a modest set of trials this weekend (on B&W with a 50mm Summicron on an SL2) shooting road and business signs with and with out the extender on my Summicron. I can't see much a difference in IQ between the two.. I'd like to carry the 2X extender in place of a 90mm Elmarit R to save a bit of weight (the SL2 is pretty heavy as it is).

I invite comments and hope to start discussion.

Good light all-

Edited by wendell_kelly

I've never liked extenders of any kind - and I was very disappointed way back when Leica joined that bandwagon.

They're nowhere close to their prime equivalents and, as I recall, they also cause you to lose a stop or two in the process.

I believe Oskar would have been very disappointed in Leica's execution of the R system! If you want light weight and compact, the Leica R system (any incarnation) ain't it.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra