Leica sighting for new ABC television show

A new ABC Television show, Six Degrees, scheduled to debut in late September,

has a character named Stephen who is an "artist/photographer" who appeared to

be shooting a chrome Leica M7 from what I can pick up from the trailers being

shown to promote the show on ABC and their website. Do you think the target

audience will even know what kind of camera this is?

Meg Ryan snapped away happily with what I think was an M4-2 or an M4-P in "Addicted to Love". She didn't look like she knew how to use it at all. I figured one of the still guys on the set loaned it to her as a prop. My eye-brain connection registered it; I'm sure no one else in the theatre gave a (*&%*&^.

A tougher spot was "Under Fire", where Nick Nolte played a PJ in Nicaragua at the time of the Somoza overthrow. He used Nikons almost exclusively. Almost, because there was ONE SCENE in which it looked like he had a black M4 slung around his neck when he was out and laid back.

These Leica Sightings are a kick. Kind of like Jeopardy trivia.

From Michael -- "Do you (think) they will care?"

No Michael, but that wasn't the question dude.

I've seen the Flomax commercial and Nolte's use of the Leica when he was traveling light, but not Meg Ryan. I find these Leica placements interesting as they seem to be increasing lately with Closer and Eurotrip coming to mind.

That's definitely no Leica M that Adrian Brody's using in "Hollywoodland". Looks like a cheap '50's Leica knock-off or possibly just a mock-up prop rangefinder camera. The best Leica placement in terms of accurate setup and vintage is in "Chinatown" with Jack Nicholson using a IIIf (?) with a 135/4.5 and the auxilliary finder. Polanski really knew his Leicas.

The 6.5h Italian movie/series "The Best of Youth" (La Meglio Gioventu) of 2003 shows an M4-P quite a lot towards the end... better choice than an M7 as a product placement, because the M7 doesn't have the Leica name at the front any more.

How about spotting Leicas in novels? John Banville's "The Sea" comes to mind, amongst quite a lot of lesser known recently published fiction... I've certainly spotted a lot more Leicas lately in movies and books rather than in the street.