Leica rebates, education discount, etc

jeffery_pool

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there exist any educational, rebates, etc. on new Leica

lenses? I've tried used but ASPH 28mm 50mm and 90mms are hard to come by.

I have a feeling that no one pays full prices at B&H for Leica lenses and

there must be some secret society that gets their new leica gear cheaper than

list price.

Thanks!

The world might end tomorrow; thats why new ASPH lenses.

Point me in the direction of decent prices for used lenses that all take the same size filter and are fast (1.4 for 50mm 2 for 28mm) and I'll buy used. When its $1700 for a used non-asph and $2300 for a new ASPH I'll somehow find the extra $600 even though my photos wont care.

The reason why Leica brought out so many ASPH lenses is purely because their glass supplier stopped making a high grade glass because of extremely low demand.

This is from LFI, by the way (many years ago, in the same issue that announced the first asph lens). So they were not trying to keep it a secret or anything.

<p>Why do you think the front elements of the Summar, Summitar, and collapsible Summicron (not sure on that one) are so easily scratched? They <i>are</i> lead glass, quite a high percentage of lead. Also known as "flint" glass. Quite soft, that's one reason they also use if for cut glass.</p>

<p>Also, remember that US Leica dealers can't <i>advertise</i> any discounts. Doesn't mean they don't happen.</p>

Aaron,

that's for the old one! Either the 35Asph (!) or the old, non-asph 1.4/50 trio (silver/

titanium/black) is pictured and the text does not say aspherical anywhere, so...

HK has no Lux50Asphericals right now.

Cheers, Peter

I took advantage of an educational discount for a 35 Lux in the summer of 2005. Even at that time there was little information available concerning the discount, but the friendly folks at Glazer's in Seattle prepared the paperwork etc. It's worth a call the the dealer to see if it's still being offered because the savings was substantial.

There is indeed an educational discount for Leicas. If you are a student or a teacher you can

buy any Leica product for 20% off the lowest advertised price. Leica controls the lowest

price that dealers can advertise. The price is published in their pricing guides. The dealer is

free to sell the product for any price he can get, but he cannot advertise a price that is below

the approved lowest price. Also, the dealer sells from stock on hand and does the paper

work, so you don't have to wait to get your gear.