Leica R9 with lastest 28-90 Vario Lens inital impressions

Hello,

I got my Leica R9 in yesterday, and I have been familiarizing myself

with its function/handling.

The camera is very intuitive and easy to use. I think it would be

safe to say I have mastered most of the functions already except some

flash modes.

The camera feel substantial with the lens attached. Balance is

good. Ergonomics are very well thought out.

The camera is loud when compared to the M7 and slighty louder then

the D100. Sound has never been a serious issue with me however.

Focus is a snap and I like it better than the rangefinder focus

because I like the WYSIWYG of an SLR system, and I can focus alot

easier on my constantly moving children.

Nothing beats a zoom lens for easy of use and convience especially

when photopgraphing children or walking around. So I am glad I bought

the 28-90 Vario lens. The mechanics are very smooth.

Actualy performance of image quality is still pending because I have

yet to finish a roll.

I am off to take some pictures.

Regards

Steve

Keep the reports coming in! I'm glad that you find the camera intuitive. It proves that while Leica's designers were obviously high on something, their ergonomics experts were on the ball. I really liked the R4-7 body though.

FWIW I hope that with the digital M they don't change the M body. That is a true classic and I'd be sad to see it replaced by something like the R9.

Hmmmmm.... Maybe I need to buy one of these, I have been at it for many years, and have never "mastered" most of the functions of any camera in a few hours yet, guess I'm still learning. Does having this expensive gear make you a master photographer?

To say Leicas are expensive is just twaddle. Here a basic R9 body is less expensive

than an EOS1 V and Nikon F5.

The zooms Stephen has are exquisite optics in their class and well worth the pounds

or dollars.

If a camera feels good to use, and yes the R9 feels very good to use, then you will

most likely want to take the machine out and put it to use. Good tools are important

to a craftsman and cameras are no exception.

If you want expensive go for a Sinar kit and a set of Scheider optics to go with it. And

they are worth ever penny.

C.

Erin,

I detect sarcasm there. The camera is very easy to use and the functions are very simple. It took me 2 years with my nikon F100 to realize I still did not know what all the autofocus setting meant.

I like the simplicity of R9. My only hope is that my results are as good as the results I have been getting with my M7.

Why not stay with the M7. Well I needed the abilty to zoom in close and take macro shots. Not to mention the Digital Module R is right around the corner.

Craig, "twaddle" how quaint. Expensive relates directly to income, and probably more than 80% percent of the worlds population would never be able to afford a R9 Leica as the price would probably exceed their lifetime income. However things are relative, and looking up the price in US dollars of the R9 $2150, that is in fact less than I paid for a D60 Canon here in New Zealand two years ago. Still a fairly reasonable amount of money anyway, however you cannot deny that good leica glass is costly.

Stephen,I looked up a reveiw of the R9 and it did say that this camera is very intuitive to use, so I guess any well heeled fool could use one as a top class point and shoot. I see you have owned a few other cameras such the M7 and an F5 Nikon so of course the above comment is not directed at you.

<i>"The camera is very easy to use and the functions are very simple. It took me 2 years with my nikon F100 to realize I still did not know what all the autofocus setting meant."</i>

<p>And you couldn't turn OFF autofocus because....? (Hint: "M" is for "manual")

<p><i>"Not to mention the Digital Module R is right around the corner."</i>

<p>Really? Says who?

Al feng,

You must be living under a rock. You come out every 1-2 weeks and make your dim witted snide comments to all people on the forum. It becomes almost to tedious to reply to your idiotic rants. I think from now on it will just be easier to ignore you. Your persitent pessimism and attepmts to undermine every single post is most tiresome.

Ignore list add: Al Feng