Leica R6 or Minolta XD-11 ?

<p>I'm not aware of the prior comments you made, Gus (I've only lusted after an SL or SL-2, but never made the jump to an SLR from RF), but the finish on the metal parts on the right of the bottom one and the seeming greater neatness of assembly reminds me of the hardened metal internal pieces that I seem to remember seeing on an M4-P, so I would guess the bottom is the R6. Both cameras apparently had motor winders or motor drive accessories. Heads or tails?</p>

<p>I guess Jason is right and Starvy's remark is what I was also thinking but did not give enough credit to. What is interesting, as Michael says, is how apparently similar the two are, but sold at different price points. I guess that Minolta built some pretty fine machines at reasonable quality to price ratios during their lifetime. I recall our former camera society president swearing by the old Minolta SRT 101 cameras and its very good optics and never changing to more modern systems. So the R6.2 is primarily a Minolta. I wonder how much better were the SL and SL-2 Leica cameras, before Leica decided (I presume) that they would be too expensive to continue that quality in updated models.</p>

<p><strong>Robin</strong>, the M4-P and the CLE (or the Leice designed but Minolta crafted CL) are very different cameras with consequently differing specifications. While the M4 and even the later M4-P have not all the features of a CLE, their build quality is superior, as is their operation, for some users. You should compare the CLE to the M7, which is a closer fit in terms of a more automated camera.</p>

<p>Minolta and Leica shared a lot of tech back in the 70s. Compare the XE-7 with the R3, for example. I wasn't aware that the later Rs were related to the XD-11 (which happens to be my favorite Minolta).</p>

<p>The Leica is on top because the XD-11 does not have 3 contacts for the winder.</p>

<p>Yes, <strong>the top one</strong> is the Leica.</p>

<p>I did this to illustrate the nonsense pricing of the R6 models vs. let's say the Leica R5 units.<br /> Why is there so much of a following and price premium for this "mechanical" Leica R ?<br /> <strong>Like the bargain R5</strong>, I typically receive the R6 units in the shop for their mechanical failures, not electronic ones.</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, the DNA sharing Minolta XD & XE units along with the Leica incarnations, are fine cameras. In fact, Leicas having among other things the superior viewfinders, a wonderful spot meter choice, and of course the R mount. Just remember that the R5 & R7 does everything the R6 can do, but with even more capability! (Concerns of battery failure & loosing the full range of shutter speeds, can easily be remedied with a spare set in your pocket)</p>

<p>If you wish to <strong>truly</strong> go "mechanical", go for the unequaled incredible precision and abundant hard metal of a <strong>pure</strong> German Leica. In other words, <strong>any</strong> of the three Leicaflex units.</p>

<p>My main point being, the <strong>perceived</strong> higher quality and/or reliability, shouldn't be the reason to pay more for a Leica R6...</p>

<p>Gus, I'm under the impression that the reason people pay 'too much' for Leica cameras is because the cost is essentially the door fee for using Leica lenses - not because the cameras are better. Many people are unaware that Zeiss and Voightlander make m-mount camera bodies, and as good as many Minolta lenses are, very few of them are in the same league as a comparable Leica version from the same era.</p>

<p>That said, I really like the XD-11 as well. If those extra-special Minolta lenses happen to be the ones that you would use, I honestly don't think there are any better automatic exposure, manual focus bodies on the market for you in a remotely similar price range. Plus it mounts the 58 f/1.2, which is my favourite lens ever to use with black and white film.</p>

<p>Gus, I agree the prices of the R6s are ridiculous. The advantages of the later Rs are their smaller size and less weight than the old 'flexes. The lack of low light meter sensitivity on the SL is a disadvantage compared to the later Rs, but I enjoyed the SL for many many years. Still on balance I still preferred the R6/R6.2 for every day practical use. I didn't opt for the R7 in 1991 as it was bigger than the R6 and I like small, but it is a good machine. I notice you have not commented on the R8 or R9?</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Love your subtle tape work, Gus! :-)<br>

Very eye-opening to those here who do not unscrew bottom plates before breakfast like you - let alone those of such 'interesting twins'!<br>

Do the parts' metal surfaces really look that different or is this effect more due to differences in lighting?</p>