Leica R5 or Leica R7?

The only 2 differences between the Portugese and German R5 is the location of the Leitz logo (former) vs Leica logo (latter) which swapped sides, and age. Portugal production switched to Germany approximately the same time ELC production did, which is when Leitz became Leica and relocated from Wetzlar to Solms, in 1988.

I can't offer any kind of user opinion R5 v. R7 since I've never been a Leica SLR user, but specification-wise some of the things the R7 has which the R5 doesn't are: wider range of manual shutter speeds and increments of 1/2-stops, LED graphic finder display, TTL balanced fill flash (although a crude one by comparison to the Japanese cameras of the last decade or more), and mirror pre-release (not really a lock-up per se). It's also a newer camera. It also takes twice the batteries and is a little taller.

Hi Domenico

I'm a R7 user and I love it to bits. The R7 has better ergonomics (on off switch, viewfinder light for example) and offers more possibilities.

The manual mode is very well thought and easy to use. It can be a point and shoot as well.

It has a great precision in the exposure system although it has a digital Man Machine Interface.

It can expose nicely in low light environment.

Batteries last a long time.

As per fiability, well, mine had one faulty speed dial bearing, repaired at a leica dealer. But in the past 10 years I have it no trouble so far.

the retro look in chrome is appealing (to my eye at least).

The R6.2 is also valuable. Now after some years, as I don't use more than 20% of the capacities of the R7, the R6.2 meets my needs.

try to look at the french site www.summilux.net

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

<p>Hey,<br>

I purchased my R6.2 and the R7 at almost the same time. Because of other demands on my time I've not had the chances to really give them both a fair and equal time.If you ask me why the two cameras. Well it has to do with the electronics or non, depending on the machine. I've had one roll of Fuji 50 back so far. Pleased with what I saw as to all the relevant issues. BUT that's only one roll so not much to judge by except the performance of the camera itself. The R7 is still a mystery to me as no documentation came along but I did find Leica's own manual in Adobe. So I went out and fired off a roll of Fuji. Knowing less than I did with the R6.2. The 7 has a number of electronic choices and the mastery will be the thing. It has a great viewfinder and supplies a more than adequate amount of information. It even has a "P" setting for when you get lazy. That's about all I can tell you. Cheers</p>